Posted to user@kudu.apache.org by Misty Stanley-Jones <mi...@apache.org> on 2017/10/23 21:53:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move Slack discussions to ASF official slack?

When we first started using Slack, I don't think the ASF Slack instance
existed. Using our own Slack instance means that we have limited access to
message archives (unless we pay) and that people who work on multiple ASF
projects need to add the Kudu slack in addition to any other Slack
instances they may be on. I propose that we instead create one or more
Kudu-related channels on the official ASF slack (http://the-asf.slack.com/)
and migrate our discussions there. What does everyone think?

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Slack discussions to ASF official slack?

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
Users will likely be confused if they have to switch Slack instances. We switched over to ASF mailing lists over a year ago and we still get requests to join the old pre-ASF user mailing list sometimes.

Unfortunately the Slack-In inviter bot doesn’t allow you to invite people to a particular room without a paid account. It has to go to the default room for the whole instance. Maybe we could ask Slack if it’s possible to get an exception for the ASF.

That said, if it’s not strictly better than what we have then I don’t see a real benefit in switching.

Mike

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.