Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Michael Kraus <mi...@informatik.uni-muenchen.de> on 2000/09/20 11:06:50 UTC

DOM Problems

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with the DOM (I'm using the Xerces-J DOM
implementation). I'm writing a kind of XML editor where the user is able
to select and copy nodes from one document tree and paste is into
another. But when I try to add the copied nodes to the new document
tree, I receive the following exception:

org.apache.xerces.dom.DOMExceptionImpl: DOM005 Wrong document

I use some code like this:

targetDocument.appendChild(sourceDocumentNode.cloneNode(true));

How can I copy nodes from one document to another? Is there any solution
within the DOM or within Xerces?

Michael

Re: DOM Problems

Re: DOM Problems

Posted by Charles Douthart <ch...@trifolium.com>.

Michael,

You must first import the node into the destination document. See the
docs for org.w3c.dom.Document

Node importedNode = targetDocument.importNode(sourceDocumentNode,true);
targetDocument.appendChild(importedNode);

-charles douthart-

Michael Kraus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing a problem with the DOM (I'm using the Xerces-J DOM
> implementation). I'm writing a kind of XML editor where the user is able
> to select and copy nodes from one document tree and paste is into
> another. But when I try to add the copied nodes to the new document
> tree, I receive the following exception:
>
> org.apache.xerces.dom.DOMExceptionImpl: DOM005 Wrong document
>
> I use some code like this:
>
> targetDocument.appendChild(sourceDocumentNode.cloneNode(true));
>
> How can I copy nodes from one document to another? Is there any solution
> within the DOM or within Xerces?
>
> Michael

Charles Douthart
Trifolium, Inc