Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au> on 2017/05/02 13:36:04 UTC

identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

Hi everyone,

I was asked again recently to identify some potential tasks for various
keen members of the community who want to help. We have done this to some
degree in the past using various labels on jira tickets but I think perhaps
we could look at potential improvements to how we identify and advertise
such tasks.

There were two things I was going to try. Firstly, some better consistency
in our labels: we currently use these labels (at least - maybe more):
beginner, easyfix, contrib, newbie, and help-requested. I was going to try
to shrink that list. Secondly, I was thinking we could perhaps use Apache's
helpwanted app/page: https://helpwanted.apache.org/.
I don't know how popular or widely known it is but it seems worth a try.

Thoughts or suggested tickets are welcome.

My initial goal will just be to get a small backlog of such tasks available
using a consistent label scheme and fed into the helpwanted app. I am happy
to get the ball rolling and advertise what naming scheme I end up selecting
(and adding that to the docs) but it will work best if a few folks chime in
and get their favourite tasks added to the list(s). We don't need an
extensive list of tasks, just ones that are easy for contributors to
identify and for us to identify too so that we can ensure they remain up to
date and contain the needed info for contributors to get started relatively
easily.

For anyone interested, the search I used:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8044?jql=project%20%3D%20GROOVY%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20labels%20in%20(beginner%2C%20easyfix%2C%20contrib%2C%20newbie%2C%20help-requested)

Cheers, Paul.

Re: identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

Posted by John Wagenleitner <jo...@gmail.com>.
I think that's a great idea.  The Contribute page [1] on groovy-lang.org
currently links to the 'contrib' label for "..possible easy contributions
that could get you started on your journey to become a Groovy committer."
 I used that link when I first started looking for ways to contribute.  I
think any label name is good as long as it's used consistently and some
efforts are made to provide pointers in the comments.

[1] http://www.groovy-lang.org/contribute.html#code

Just a few suggested tickets to add to the list

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8170
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8042
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-7979

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Okay, I went through all of the contrib-like tasks and now all use just the
{{contrib}} label to indicate they are ready for external contributors[1].
I also added 4 of these (to start with) into the Apache help wanted app[2].

Please feel free to add some more. And when you do, please tick both Java
and Groovy as the languages needed. Also, try to give as much detail as you
can to indicate what we think the desired direction is - revamp the Jira
ticket slightly if needed. If we do get some new contributors, they might
just need a little nudge in the right direction.

We'll see if that app brings additional eyeballs.

Cheers, Paul.
P.S. Next step is to better document some roadmap items but I'll kick that
off in another email.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-5450?jql=project%20%3D%20GROOVY%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%29%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20contrib
[2] https://helpwanted.apache.org/

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by jim northrop <ja...@googlemail.com>.
+1 for Daniel & Paul's idea

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
I should have added. Currently if you go to the helpwanted app and ask for
a task involving Groovy, no tasks are returned. I think we can fix that
problem! :-)

Cheers, Paul.