Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> on 2020/02/06 22:08:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] -- runtime release wave

As preparation for a core release, I'd like to push out releases of the
remaining runtimes (excluding dotnet and go which we released in the last
month).

Motivation:
1. Across all the runtimes, this gets uniform support for
apache/openwhisk#4761
2. For the actionloop based runtimes, these would get them on based from
the openwhisk-runtime-go v1.15.0 base we released two weeks ago.
3. This would be the first release of the rust runtime.
4. It would get us "non-incubating" releases of all of our runtimes.
5. For a couple of the languages (eg node, php) it picks up security fixes
from the upstream language-specific components

Runtimes to release:
runtime-docker
runtime-java
runtime-nodejs
runtime-php
runtime-python
runtime-ruby
runtime-rust
runtime-swift

I would propose incrementing the minor version to the next available for
each runtime, so we'd be doing a mix of 1.14.0 and 1.15.0.   For rust,
start at 1.0.0?

For nodejs, we should wait for the current in-flight release of client-js
to finish (because runtime-nodejs embeds client-js).

Logistically, this can be organized as 9 separate voting threads or I can
group them.  Voters will still have to check each artifact either way.

Thoughts?

--dave

Re: [DISCUSS] -- runtime release wave

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 - happy to help orchestrate the rcs and votes if you want some help.
I am about to close the node client vote and will update npm shortly after.

-r