Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2017/03/21 16:53:58 UTC

Branch for new major version?

Hi,

I'm thinking about implementing some stuff which would most likely require a new
major version. Obviously there are some similar things which already came up,
e.g. remove some disturbing public constants, switch to java 7 to use twelve
monkeys lib.

The question is, how should we deal with that. I see a handful of possible ways:

- switch the current trunk to 3.0 and omit 2.1 (for now there are 3 tickets with
"Fix version/s" 2.1 which didn't make it to the 2.0 branch for different reasons)
- create a 2.1 branch based on the current trunk and switch the current trunk to 3.0
- create a 3.0 branch and don't change anything else. Merge all changes to the
trunk once 2.1 was released some time in the future
- don't change anything officially, but create a "private" 3.0 branch and merge
those changes to a future 3.0 version

What is your opinion? Any other ideas?
BTW: I'd prefer 1 or 2

BR
Andreas

Re: Branch for new major version?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 25.03.2017 um 19:01 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:

>>> I'd go for 1 too - BR Maruan
>>
>> Thanks for your input. Let's wait another couple of days maybe until the next
>> weekend before proceeding with any changes.
> Ok, there isn't any other input.
>
> I'm going to rename the trunk version from 2.1-SNAPSHOT to 3.0-SNAPSHOT and I'm
> going to do the same with out JIRA tickets.
Done

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.