Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Holden Tommy <To...@hcahealthcare.com> on 2005/01/20 19:45:19 UTC

[users@httpd] serving .xls files

Is there a way I can force apache to open .xls files in Excel instead of the
browser window???

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

Re: [users@httpd] serving .xls files

Posted by jdyke <jd...@azimapower.com>.
Holden Tommy wrote:
> Is there a way I can force apache to open .xls files in Excel instead of the
> browser window???

you can force them to be downloaded, but if you're using IE and its opening them
in the window, that is IE not apache.  If you launched the link in Firefox, bet
it would launch XLS  If you want to force it to download, or give the user the
option to open, you can edit the mime.types file for the application/msvnd-xls
(or something like that) to force the prompt.

Jeff

Posted by "Andy J.M." <ap...@yourimedia.com>.
I believe you can force a "download" by change the ForceType directive. Yes,
the browser sees the type as application/excel, however I believe if you
alter this to "something else(?)" the browser will be unable to determine
the appropriate file-type (MIME) and force a download prompt, resulting in
the user having to "open" the file and leaving the file-type determination
to the OS --- in this case the OS will see .xls and open it in Excel.

Posted by Darryl Cook <dl...@cs.appstate.edu>.