Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/07/20 23:43:27 UTC

[general] hdk and jre for review...

I have a HDK and JRE for linux on

    http://people.apache.org/~geir/harmony

(I'm still battling windows...)

The VM was built in release mode, and I have to say, it's not too shabby!

If no one has any objections or showstoppers, I'd like to post both
linux and win to our snapshot download site.  As this is a snapshot, I'm
looking for a basic smoketest or pointing any stupidity or gross
mistakes I may have made.

If not, I'd like to go forward, and just iterate.

geir

Re: [general] hdk and jre for review...

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/21/06, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded and tried it out on Windows...
>
> Comments on packaging/layout:
>
> As pointed out by Nathan, the JRE seems to have way more in it than we
> actually need.
>
> In jre/bin:
> - What happened to the harmony launcher and the ability to use
> different VMs?  I'm concerned that having a DRLVM-specific launcher, and
> putting all the DRLVM files directly into jre/bin breaks the goal to run
> with multiple VMs.
>
> - I'm assuming that the slam of the hythr library is a temporary
> solution while we continue the discussion?
>
> - There seems to be a spurious Hello.class and encoder.lib in there.
>
> Elsewhere:
> - jre/lib is a strange place to put the Eclipse plug-in support.  I
> don;t think this should be in the HDK/JRE at all as it is a separate
> piece of work.
>
> - Should not be a jdk/jre/include directory, only the jdk/include.  We
> have two different copies of jni.h.
>

> Running code:
> - The batch file was not much use to me...
>
> C:\download\rssowl_1_2_1_win32_bin>\temp\harmony-hdk-r424020\jdk\jre\bin\java.bat
> -jar rssowl.jar
>
> C:\download\rssowl_1_2_1_win32_bin>.\java.exe -jar rssowl.jar
> '.\java.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>

> but the .exe ran ok and RSSOwl seems to work just fine.
>
> I had the same problem as Nathan (ERROR: Destructive unwinding: C++
> objects detected on stack!) when trying to run Eclipse 3.2.

Once more: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-939 should
eliminate this issue.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Regards,

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>> I downloaded and tried it out on Windows...
>>>
>>> Comments on packaging/layout:
>>>
>>> As pointed out by Nathan, the JRE seems to have way more in it than we
>>> actually need.
>> Yes, but you probably understand that's not intentional.
>
> Understood, just being thorough ;-)
>
>>> In jre/bin:
>>>  - What happened to the harmony launcher and the ability to use
>>> different VMs?  I'm concerned that having a DRLVM-specific launcher, and
>>> putting all the DRLVM files directly into jre/bin breaks the goal to run
>>> with multiple VMs.
>> If you've been following, that argument is still happening.  Once that's
>> fixed, we go back.  The intention is to go to harmony launcher.
>
> Sure I have been participating in that discussion.  I appreciate that
> this is a snapshot of a particular VM/class library combination -- but
> wanted it to be clear to all that this is not the final 'shape'.  Sounds
> like we still agree that supporting numerous VMs and other class
> libraries (eventually) remains important.

The whole thing is far from final shape.  :)

>>>  - I'm assuming that the slam of the hythr library is a temporary
>>> solution while we continue the discussion?
>> Yep.  Like the (@)#!@#! launcher.
>
> Ack.
>
>>>  - There seems to be a spurious Hello.class and encoder.lib in there.
>> I left the Hello :)  Figure it's easy for someone to then type java -cp
>> . Hello
>>
>> but yes, that goes.
>>
>>> Elsewhere:
>>>  - jre/lib is a strange place to put the Eclipse plug-in support.  I
>>> don;t think this should be in the HDK/JRE at all as it is a separate
>>> piece of work.
>>>
>> yep
>>
>>>  - Should not be a jdk/jre/include directory, only the jdk/include.  We
>>> have two different copies of jni.h.
>> yep, but that's a larger issue in itself, isn't it... :)
>
> Do you think so?  They should contain the same things.  And you wouldn't
> expect to have a jni.h in a JRE.

The issue is that we have two, not that it's there.

>>> Running code:
>>>  - The batch file was not much use to me...
>>> C:\download\rssowl_1_2_1_win32_bin>\temp\harmony-hdk-r424020\jdk\jre\bin\java.bat
>>> -jar rssowl.jar
>>>
>>> C:\download\rssowl_1_2_1_win32_bin>.\java.exe -jar rssowl.jar
>>> '.\java.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>> operable program or batch file.
>>>
>> Right - I need to ditch the batch, I think.
>>
>>> but the .exe ran ok and RSSOwl seems to work just fine.
>>>
>>> I had the same problem as Nathan (ERROR: Destructive unwinding: C++
>>> objects detected on stack!) when trying to run Eclipse 3.2.
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> The purpose here was to sew together Frankenstein's Monster, and iterate
>> from there.
>
> Apologies if the original note sounded like a bunch of criticisms -- it
> is a joy to see the combined work, and it is phenomenal to see all this
> progress.  Good job everyone!

I didn't take it that way.  Just iterating my "lowering of expectations" :)

>> I'll do another iteration, the big problem being the hdk in the jre (I
>> know that problem - did that dance on linux as well...) and getting rid
>> of obvious user-distractions like java.bat.  I'll trim out hello also.
>>
>> Launcher will be fixed Real Soon Now as soon now as that's in progress,
>> and we have to fix the dual jni.h problem.
>
>> I'll make a separate directory in root of JRE for eclipse plugin.
>
> Do you really think we need that in the JRE?  I'd be inclined to leave
> it out

I agree that later we should, but in these first iterations as we get
our act together, I figured that including useful things for people
would be good.

We could just call it the JDK rather than JRE, but that just brings up a
 bunch of other issues that I'm not sure it's worth slowing down for.
Maybe throw it in a directory called "goodies" or such, so it's clear
that it's something odd, and put a note in there telling people what to
do with it?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> I downloaded and tried it out on Windows...
>>
>> Comments on packaging/layout:
>>
>> As pointed out by Nathan, the JRE seems to have way more in it than we
>> actually need.
>
> Yes, but you probably understand that's not intentional.

Understood, just being thorough ;-)

>> In jre/bin:
>>  - What happened to the harmony launcher and the ability to use
>> different VMs?  I'm concerned that having a DRLVM-specific launcher, and
>> putting all the DRLVM files directly into jre/bin breaks the goal to run
>> with multiple VMs.
>
> If you've been following, that argument is still happening.  Once that's
> fixed, we go back.  The intention is to go to harmony launcher.

Sure I have been participating in that discussion.  I appreciate that
this is a snapshot of a particular VM/class library combination -- but
wanted it to be clear to all that this is not the final 'shape'.  Sounds
like we still agree that supporting numerous VMs and other class
libraries (eventually) remains important.

>>  - I'm assuming that the slam of the hythr library is a temporary
>> solution while we continue the discussion?
>
> Yep.  Like the (@)#!@#! launcher.

Ack.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> I downloaded and tried it out on Windows...
>
> Comments on packaging/layout:
>
> As pointed out by Nathan, the JRE seems to have way more in it than we
> actually need.

Yes, but you probably understand that's not intentional.

> In jre/bin:
>  - What happened to the harmony launcher and the ability to use
> different VMs?  I'm concerned that having a DRLVM-specific launcher, and
> putting all the DRLVM files directly into jre/bin breaks the goal to run
> with multiple VMs.

If you've been following, that argument is still happening.  Once that's
fixed, we go back.  The intention is to go to harmony launcher.

>  - I'm assuming that the slam of the hythr library is a temporary
> solution while we continue the discussion?

Yep.  Like the (@)#!@#! launcher.

>  - There seems to be a spurious Hello.class and encoder.lib in there.

I left the Hello :)  Figure it's easy for someone to then type java -cp
. Hello

but yes, that goes.

> Elsewhere:
>  - jre/lib is a strange place to put the Eclipse plug-in support.  I
> don;t think this should be in the HDK/JRE at all as it is a separate
> piece of work.

yep

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Yep, that's another option...

SY, Alexey

2006/8/3, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:

> [...]
> >> > >>
> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundl

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.ja

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(Sta

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(StartLeve

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(S

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent(Sta

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManage

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader

> >> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultCl

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [general] hdk and jre for review...

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Have tested Windows version too.
> Eclipse3.1.1 runs OK, tested for Java and Plugin-development projects.
> Also I tried to run DeCapo benchmark:
> hsqldb, xalan, antlr, bloat, jython and ps: passed OK
> batik, pmd, fop: could not run (lack of experience)
> chart: failed with
> ERROR: Destructive unwinding: C++ objects detected on stack!
>  droping 0x05E8F518
> setting curr 0x05E8FF68
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can not find the library: gl.dll
>        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0()
>        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary()
>        at org.apache.harmony.awt.gl.Surface.<clinit>(Surface.java:77)
>        at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.createImageSurface(
> BufferedImage.java:659)
>        at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:352)
>        at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfGraphics2D.<init>()
>        at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfContentByte.createGraphics()
>        at dacapo.Graph.plotGraph()

Like I said in a note, no graphics support in win version.  I'll get
that in hopefully today, but note that it's still in transition.

> Not so bad for the first JRE snapshot which is "pre-alpha : not complete or
> compatible" :)

Indeed - we have a lot to be proud of.

geir

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > java:189)
> >        at
> > org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run
> (EventManage
> > r.java:291)
> org.eclipse.core.runtime.Plugin
> >        at
> > org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass
> (BundleLoader
> > .java:407)
> >        at
> > org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass
> (BundleLoader
> > .java:352)
> >        at
> > org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass
> (DefaultCl
> > assLoader.java:83)
> >        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass()
> >        at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.getMethodReturnType()

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [general] hdk and jre for review...

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Nathan,

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> On windows, I was able to launch Eclipse 3.1.1 sucessfully, edit and run
> HWA.
> Did just one correction :)
> Index: harmony-hdk-r424020\jdk\jre\bin\eclipse.bat
> @@ -4,1 +4,1
> - set
> BUILD_HOME=C:\dev\apache\harmony\enhanced\trunk\working_vm\build\win_ia32_msvc_release\deploy\jre

DOH!  LOL.  That was on my list to get rid of anyway - thanks for the
reminder :)

> + set BUILD_HOME=%~dp0\..\
>
> On Suse 9 box (gcc 3.3.3), though, it complained:
> ./java.exec: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6:

Yah - same on ubuntu 5 and I'm sure lots of other things.  Given that it
appears many distros don't come with this, should we statically link?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Now I know what you were saying...

There are instructions for the deps in

  depends/libs/build

Do that and you should be fine.  I'll add that to a README for the fedbuild

geir

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr skrev  den 21-07-2006 15:46:
>>
>> Hm.  I'm using ubuntu 6.
>>
>> I'll go look at your JIRA.  Which is it?
>>
> You found the JIRA and helped me figuring out the couple of apt-gets
> needed.
>
> I'll give it a whirl now.
>> What I did doesn't change how you compile either classlib or drlvm - it
>> just is a 'one level up' federation of the two, that invokes the
>> particular build system for each, and then just collects the generated
>> artifacts.
>>
>> I though we'd started to collect info on the WIKI, but what I'll do is
>>
> In that case a pointer to the appropriate Wiki page would be sufficient
> in the root.  It is just a matter of where to start looking.

I just ran into this recently both in Geronimo and ActiveMQ, namely zero
documentation in the distribution, and a pointer to the website and I
have to admit, it was really annoying.  (And I'm part of Geronimo, so
I'm partially to blame there...)

I'd rather ensure that the basic information is included in the
distribution itself.  It's not that hard, unless you choose something
utterly inflexible for documentation, like, say, a wiki :)

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr skrev  den 21-07-2006 02:22:
>> That's because I'm a moron and my userid is 'geirm'
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~geirm/harmony
>>

>> I'm uploading windows versions now.  Note they have no AWT/Swing support
>> right now.
>>
> What environment do you use under Linux?  I cannot compile under Ubuntu
> at the moment?  (Jira 9something raised).

Hm.  I'm using ubuntu 6.

I'll go look at your JIRA.  Which is it?

> Since apparently this is changing a lot I have trouble keeping up on
> nthe mailing list.  Could a compilation document be placed in trunk just
> to ensure that the crucial information is easily accessible?

What I did doesn't change how you compile either classlib or drlvm - it
just is a 'one level up' federation of the two, that invokes the
particular build system for each, and then just collects the generated
artifacts.

I though we'd started to collect info on the WIKI, but what I'll do is
'harvest' that into the website to make it easy to include in the
hdk/jre snapshots, as well as add patches.

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.
I think you may need to chmod the windows snapshots. All I get are forbidden

-Nathan

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.