Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pablo Jejcic <pa...@smartweb.rgu.ac.uk> on 2003/05/23 16:38:34 UTC

Maven and Cygwin

List,
	I am having a strange problem. We are behind a firewall and we use a
proxy to connect to the internet.
	Now, I installed maven in two machines, like this:

1) A Solaris9 Machine, usual installation, and configure the
build.properties in the home directory of the user.

2) A windows200 with Cygwin in which Maven is working outside our network
using a telephone connection, but for some strange reason when I configure
the build.properties in that machine with the same parameters than in the
Solaris machine, it doesn't work.

	So, Anyone know why is this happening? And how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind Regards.
Pablo Jejcic
Smartweb Senior system Administrator
http://www.smartweb.rgu.ac.uk
Motivate them train them care about them and make winners out of them we
know that if we treat our employees correctly they'll treat the customers
right and if customers are treated right they'll come back. - J Marriot, Jr.

Re: Maven and Cygwin

Posted by Luke Taylor <ne...@freesurf.ch>.
Peter Lynch wrote:

> Luke,
>
> Just to make sure. You say the Maven shell script doesn't work only or
> any shell script you try to use within cygwin?

The latter - it was fine up until a month or two ago when I noticed
that, after upgrading it with the setup program, it stopped running sh
scripts which call java (the jboss build, maven, ant etc).

> If the former, then we can help figure it out. If the latter, sounds
> like your cygwin is foobared or your path does not have access to
> 'cygpath'.
>
> Try typing:
>
> which cygpath
>
> on the command line of your cygwin shell.
>
> Should be in your bin dir.

It is, and cygwin still works fine for the most part. I still use it for
everything else. This is the sort of thing I get

$ which java
/home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
$ cygpath -w /home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
F:\JDKs\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin\java
$ cygpath -u F:\\JDKs\\j2sdk1.4.1_02\\bin\\java
/home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
$ ant
/home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java: not found
$ maven
/home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java: not found
$ /home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
            (to execute a class)
    or  java -jar [-options] jarfile [args...]
            (to execute a jar file)

Never been able to work out why or where it went wrong... It's not a
huge problem but if anyone can shed any light on it I'd be grateful.

Luke.

--
  Luke Taylor.                      Monkey Machine Ltd.
  PGP Key ID: 0x57E9523C            http://www.monkeymachine.ltd.uk

Re: Maven and Cygwin

Posted by Peter Lynch <pe...@mindspring.com>.
Luke Taylor wrote:
> Pablo Jejcic wrote:
>
>> List,
>>     I am having a strange problem. We are behind a firewall and we use a
>> proxy to connect to the internet.
>>     Now, I installed maven in two machines, like this:
>>
>> 1) A Solaris9 Machine, usual installation, and configure the
>> build.properties in the home directory of the user.
>>
>> 2) A windows200 with Cygwin in which Maven is working outside our network
>> using a telephone connection, but for some strange reason when I
>> configure
>> the build.properties in that machine with the same parameters than in the
>> Solaris machine, it doesn't work.
>>
>>     So, Anyone know why is this happening? And how can I fix it?
>>

> Could you expand on how it doesn't work? Can you run maven at all? I've
> been unable to run any sh scripts in cygwin since I upgraded it a while
> back. e.g. running maven I get
>
> $ maven
> /home/JDKs/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java: not found
> $
>
> So I've been using the dos command prompt for running maven (or ant for
> that matter).
>
> Luke.

Luke,

Just to make sure. You say the Maven shell script doesn't work only or
any shell script you try to use within cygwin?

If the former, then we can help figure it out. If the latter, sounds
like your cygwin is foobared or your path does not have access to 'cygpath'.

Try typing:

which cygpath

on the command line of your cygwin shell.

Should be in your bin dir.

-Peter
-Peter

Re: Maven and Cygwin

Posted by Luke Taylor <ne...@freesurf.ch>.

Re: Maven and Cygwin

Posted by Peter Lynch <pe...@mindspring.com>.
Pablo Jejcic wrote:
> List,
> 	I am having a strange problem. We are behind a firewall and we use a
> proxy to connect to the internet.
> 	Now, I installed maven in two machines, like this:
>
> 1) A Solaris9 Machine, usual installation, and configure the
> build.properties in the home directory of the user.
>
> 2) A windows200 with Cygwin in which Maven is working outside our network
> using a telephone connection, but for some strange reason when I configure
> the build.properties in that machine with the same parameters than in the
> Solaris machine, it doesn't work.
>
> 	So, Anyone know why is this happening? And how can I fix it?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.

Where did you put the build.properties file on the windows Machine?
Maven looks in the Java user.home system property. So putting
build.properties in /home/<your home dir> in cygwin will not work.

Put it instead in your Windows's home dir.

Bottom line make sure that the build.properties is actually being found.

-Peter