Posted to users@camel.apache.org by harinair <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2009/01/07 02:23:07 UTC

Two questions: Stopping Camel and intercept before retry

Hi All:

Thanks a lot for all the help I have received. We are nearing a production
implementation of a Camel based messaging system! It was a great experience,
I learned a lot and we saved a lot of time since I used Camel.

I now have two questions:

1. I use org.apache.camel.spring.Main to start my standalone Camel context.
Now how do I stop it? Till now I was killing it. Can I kill it? I guess it
may not be the right way since I have a feeling that the messages in the
pipeline (especially the ones that are in Retry processing) is lost.

2. I really need to get access to the Message between each retry. I use
recipientList to forward message to different endpoints based on a header. I
have also retry rules which make the Endpoint retry a specific number of
times. In many cases I may have to get control and make some header
modification of the message before each retry. I could not find any good
docs on that. Is there any Strategy implementation I can use that can get
control of the exchange before each retry? If that is not there wouldn't it
be a good idea to provide a way to intercept messages before each retry?

Thanks in advance,
Hari Gangadharan

Re: Two questions: Stopping Camel and intercept before retry

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:23 AM, harinair <ha...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Thanks a lot for all the help I have received. We are nearing a production
> implementation of a Camel based messaging system! It was a great experience,
> I learned a lot and we saved a lot of time since I used Camel.
>
> I now have two questions:
>
> 1. I use org.apache.camel.spring.Main to start my standalone Camel context.
> Now how do I stop it? Till now I was killing it. Can I kill it? I guess it
> may not be the right way since I have a feeling that the messages in the
> pipeline (especially the ones that are in Retry processing) is lost.
How are you gonna run your application in production? Is it started
from a command line or hosted in a container such as Tomcat?
If you let Spring start Camel then Spring is handling the lifecycle of
Camel, so when Spring is shutting down it will also shutdown Camel as
well.

To avoid loosing messages you should use persistent JMS queues etc.
that guarantees not to loose messages.

> 2. I really need to get access to the Message between each retry. I use
> recipientList to forward message to different endpoints based on a header. I
> have also retry rules which make the Endpoint retry a specific number of
> times. In many cases I may have to get control and make some header
> modification of the message before each retry. I could not find any good
> docs on that. Is there any Strategy implementation I can use that can get
> control of the exchange before each retry? If that is not there wouldn't it
> be a good idea to provide a way to intercept messages before each retry?
Didn't we discuss this? Well 1-3 months ago there was a discussion on
this user forum about this topic.

If you use onException you should be able do some custom processing
before it's retried.
Something like this: onException(MyException.class).process(new
Processor() ... )

You can check the error handling documentation:
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/error-handling-in-camel.html

And the onException i here:
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/exception-clause.html

But I guess it could make sence to allow somekind of easy
configuration of the error handler itself to attach a processor so end
users can run some code before the retry is executed.

> Thanks in advance,
> Hari Gangadharan

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Re: Two questions: Stopping Camel and intercept before retry

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

You can use JMX to start/stop CamelContext. We have it on the roadmap
for Camel 2.x to let Camel be much more dynamic manageable at runtime
to add/remove/pause producers/consumers etc. But stopping and starting
a CamelContext should be doable.

The Main in camel-spring is usually for running Camel during
development or testing using camel:run or running Camel standalone.

At production Camel is usually embedded in some sort of container:
- AMQ
- SMX
- Tomcat
- OSGi
- J2EE
- etc.

-------

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.
My question is how to gracefully stop this instance:

org.apache.camel.spring.Main -ac file.xml

In this file.xml I have definitions for starting an activemq broker on port
61616.

I expect that if in my Java code I call
Main.getInstance.getApplicationContext.close() this will close camel and
since this instance started the activemq broker, the shutting down of the
broker will be taken care of automatically.

Is this the way to gracefully stop this instance ?

Posted by harinair <ha...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by harinair <ha...@hotmail.com>.
Claus:

I have added a JIRA issue for Hangup support. Also attached a patch file and
two new java files.

I am fairly new in this so I hope I did not screw-up anything.
Regards,
Hari Gangadharan

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by harinair <ha...@hotmail.com>.