Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2008/05/12 13:20:44 UTC

Need some advice on how to include repository/* bits in the boilerplate

I'm trying to remove the use of the gshell-embeddable artifact, which
includes some duplicates (like jline, xstream, slf4j, etc)... but I
can't figure out how the new assembly bits are used to get stuff into
the repository/*.

I can hack something up (with the assembly + antrun plugins) but I'm
wondering if there is a better way.  I'd like to not have a ton of pom
config to list all of the gshell required dependencies, just use mvn's
transitive deps to populate the repository/* with the bits that gshell
needs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--jason

Re: Need some advice on how to include repository/* bits in the boilerplate

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
BTW - I opened GERONIMO-4012 so we can track the changes for this effort...

-Donald

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On May 14, 2008, at 3:23 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> Well, changes were already checked into trunk about 20 miins. before
> your email....
> The changes need to also go into branches/2.1, because right now we
> have different/duplicate versions of some depends included in
> Geronimo 2.1.x and 2.2, due to the gshell-embeddable jarfile, which
> was created using the shade-maven-plugin and no one noticed the
> mismatched depends and the fact that Geronimo is actually including
> additional plexus and gshell jars that are not visible in our
> repository, due to shade extracting them and repackaging them into
> this uber gshell-embeddable jar.....

I'm not sure why this matters at all, since those dependencies are
really *only* used by gshell anyways.

> I'm for fixing the transitive depend mechanism in car-maven-plugin,
> as long as it correctly handles different versions between the
> server and other projects, with the server/pom.xml specified
> versions always winning.
>
> I'm against the continued usage of the gshell-embeddable jar, as it
> hides the fact that we are including other depends in our server
> assemblies and will just likely cause more version conflicts and
> duplicate depends in the future.  Maybe if you get the car-maven-
> plugin updated for transitive depends and mismatched versions, then
> we can just create a new gshell-framework pom that lets gshell tell
> us and the car-maven-plugin which depends to pull in....

Well, gshell-embeddable is going to be going away... BUT, I still
think that there is no issue with any mismatched anything, and that
this is a made up problem.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On May 14, 2008, at 3:23 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> I'm against the continued usage of the gshell-embeddable jar, as it
> hides the fact that we are including other depends in our server
> assemblies and will just likely cause more version conflicts and
> duplicate depends in the future.  Maybe if you get the car-maven-
> plugin updated for transitive depends and mismatched versions, then
> we can just create a new gshell-framework pom that lets gshell tell
> us and the car-maven-plugin which depends to pull in....

And it just occurred to me that not using gshell-embedabble, at least
to pick up the plexus support classes which gshell requires may in
fact break other things, since gshell uses a much newer version of
plexus than maven does, meaning that inclusion of the newer stuff
could break some code depending on the other version.

But we'll have to see...

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 15, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Hey, so now the plugins are doing the trick... yay... thanks David!

BTW, following a comment you made on IRC, I've been reworking the
mojos to not use codehaus mojo-support but go directly to the maven
dependency code stuff.  It's taken a little while to get working but I
think I'm close now.  I'll be offline most of tomorrow but can
probably commit monday.

> But, now I'm wondering, when the server loads, it shows those
> plugins loading, which is fine I guess... but I'm wondering if they
> are eating up memory or building classpath muck that is never going
> to be used by the server (or well, not until we get support for
> running an rshd instance in the server).

I want to look at what is happening here again.... probably nothing
bad but I'd like to check.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 15, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Hey, so now the plugins are doing the trick... yay... thanks David!
>
> But, now I'm wondering, when the server loads, it shows those
> plugins loading, which is fine I guess... but I'm wondering if they
> are eating up memory or building classpath muck that is never going
> to be used by the server (or well, not until we get support for
> running an rshd instance in the server).

Hmm, how are they added to the config?  If they are ancestors of j2ee-
system then they get into the base geronimo classloader.  Most likely
they are getting started but the resulting classloader is not a parent
of anything.

We can prevent them from even starting by having another "server"
configuration that they are specified for in the plugin goo, similar
to how the client-* plugins work.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 12, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On May 13, 2008, at 1:14 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> So including the dependencies you need for gshell in the
>> boilerplate's pom would get them into the geronimo repo.  As I said
>> transitive dependencies don't result in inclusion at the moment for
>> rather good reasons.  I don't know what the <include> tag would do
>> but it's probably worth investigating.
>
> What <include> tag are you talking about?

As usual I get include and import confused.  See http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html
  under import dependencies.  I find the docs pretty unclear about
whether actual dependencies (rather than dependency management
sections) get imported into the using pom's dependencies or are
ignored or something else.

I'll see if I can do an experiment to see if/how this works.

It does require maven 2.0.9

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 12, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Um, the boilerplate does not put anything into the repository/*  so
> how do they get in there?  Or is that figured out when the
> boilerplate is applied to an assembly or something?

boilerplate is a geronimo plugin, and the car-maven-plugin generates a
geronimo-plugin.xml for it.

Therefore when it is installed into an assembly (usually the first
plugin :-) all the dependencies listed in geronimo-plugin.xml get
installed in the geronimo repo.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.