Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/03 20:38:05 UTC

[Installers] Base directory for data

Hi Everyone,
As most of you know, part of the installers and daemon rework I am doing
involves detaching the data storage directory from the main install image so
that the data can be stored seperately to ease upgrading and running
multiple server instances.  Currently all of the data dir, log dir, etc. are
statically configured to be relative to the base install dir.  To make this
more dynamic and configurable I propose to add some java system properties
that can be passed to each instance and use sensible defaults if none are
set.  Current server.xml files will continue to work because the partition
dir will still be relative from the base data dir that is specified.

For Linux/Unix, I believe the correct default will be /var/lib/apacheds, but
I am not so sure about WIndows.  At this point I am thinking about keeping
the data in the base install dir as a default for WIndows.

I will start documenting all of this better in the next few days but I
wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on this part before I continue.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: [Installers] Base directory for data

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 6/4/07, Aron Sogor <ar...@theatlantis.net> wrote:

> For embedding DS it would not be cool to use system properties, or at
> least you should be able to define/overwrite _all_ those variables in
> the server.xml too, and system properties would only be a fall back.

I believe this is covered, since if the properties are not specified the
code falls back to the current behavior, but at least you will have the
option to locate the data elsewhere as well.

Chris

Aron

Posted by Aron Sogor <ar...@theatlantis.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.