Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Gilbertson <er...@pervasivesec.com> on 2002/12/02 19:34:12 UTC

TC memory consumption increases when -Xincgc is used?

Hello Tomcaters:

Has anyone encountered a problem with TC memory consumption growing
faster with incremental GC enabled? With the -Xincgc switch, memory consumption
not only grows faster on startup, but it never seems to go down
significantly as it
does with normal GC. Under stress testing this results eventually in the
dreaded
OutOfMemory error. The weird thing  is that our other servers don't seem to
exhibit
this behavior. Another contributing factor to the memory consumption is
whether TC
is invoked from the command line, or whether it is started via an NT
service. I do see
faster memory consumption when starting via the CL with -Xincgc, but the
OutOfMemory exception occurs only with incgc *and* service invocation. The
service
invocation includes no other switches that aren't used in the CL version. I
did see a post
in the archives regarding memory problems when TC is invoked via a service
but there
was no confirmation that this was a known problem. Suggestions as to how to
start TC
via a service without incurring increased memory consumption are appreciated.

The operation environment is TC 4.01 with NT 2000/XP with precompiled JSPs.

Sincerely,

Eric Gilbertson
eric.gilbertson@pervasivesec.com

read only context why??

Posted by anywhere-info <an...@netscape.net>.
does any one knows the rationale for making InitialContext() read only
in tomcat ?

Re: TC memory consumption increases when -Xincgc is used?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Eric Gilbertson wrote:

> Has anyone encountered a problem with TC memory consumption growing
> faster with incremental GC enabled? With the -Xincgc switch, memory
> consumption not only grows faster on startup, but it never seems to go
> down significantly as it does with normal GC.

Which GC style is best for you is pretty much always an application
dependent decision, but the behavior you describe matches my intuitive
understanding of how incremental garbage collection works -- at any
point in time, there will be relatively more objects that haven't been
collected yet.  The corresponding benefit is you don't have to wait for
the garbage to be collected all at once (which can cause noticeable pauses
in response time on a JVM with lots of heap space).

I don't know the details of how you configure the JVM when starting Tomcat
as a service, but presume that the info must be in the docs somewhere.

Craig