Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rod Hilton <hi...@regis.edu> on 2009/08/27 17:00:32 UTC

Student asking for your help in open source survey

Hello,

I'll make this short and sweet.

1) I'm a graduate student.
2) I'm doing research on development practices in the open source
community.
3) I would like to use some Apache Commons projects as part of my
research.

I'd be eternally grateful if everyone who has ever contributed code to
these projects could fill out my survey.  It's three questions long,
and you can do the whole thing with just the mouse.

If you fill it out, please specify the name of the component (so
'commons collections' rather than 'commons'). I know this is
obnoxious, but I don't have any other options, sorry.

I'm looking specifically for results on Collections, Primitives, CLI,
Codec, IO, and Math, but I'd be happy to have survey results from any
projects in commons.

Please take a few seconds and help me complete my research, I'd really
appreciate it.

The survey is here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cHU2aHo5bS14cE04c2gzWGlhaUpQSHc6MA
..

Thank you,
Rod Hilton

P.S. If you are involved with multiple open source projects and seeing
this message on other mailing lists, first let me apologize for being
so annoying, but second let me ask you to please fill out the survey
again, once for each project.  Thanks!

Re: Student asking for your help in open source survey

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
TDD and Commons is an interesting subject to consider. Personally I'd
add Lang to your list as it is of the same ilk.

My general belief on TDD has been that it's the right idea but it's a
bit over-hyped. You need a scaffold when writing new code, but there
should be no belief that the test implies the code is 'right', and no
belief that the test is being completely written first. That's why
'test' is a bad name. Scaffold is better (in my I'm going to be an
arrogant ass and claim it is opinion) as it's natural to keep changing
the scaffold as the item inside changes. You should iterate on the
scaffold, then the code, then the scaffold, then the code etc.

However.... bug fixing and TDD is a natural. Commons has very high
levels of unit test coverage etc because it is dim sum coding and very
well situated to being unit tested. The norm is very much to write a
test and then write the bugfix.

You could try analyzing the JIRA to see whether patches come in first
with test classes and then later with changes. I don't know if you'd
get good results or not - possibly if you script against all of the
Commons projects you might show a higher count, but it'll definitely
be for bugfixes. Definitely can't tell from commits as "not breaking
the build" is a higher cultural meme than TDD.

Hen