Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/09/04 00:16:53 UTC

Out of space again.

I am trying to commit some stuff to APR, but I keep getting this message:

can't create temporary directory
No space left on device

when I did a df on apache.org, /tmp says it is 106% used.  Can somebody
with enough access fix this problem?

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: Out of space again.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> when I did a df on apache.org, /tmp says it is 106% used.  Can somebody
> with enough access fix this problem?

It seems to be alright now:

[ask@taz /tmp]$ df /tmp
Filesystem   512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0s1a      196958    37856   143346    21%    /

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>
more than 40M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>

Re: Out of space again.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Marcus Butler wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > F*(&% named dumping core, or at least some big debugging file.
>
>  Is it dumping core, or is it dumping a datafile?  I couldn't say
> exactly what bind is doing without looking at the named.conf file.
> Named will typically only dump debugging information if you start it
> with the '-d' flag.  It can also dump some caching information, but
> that tends to be rather small.

It's actually not a core file, it's a load of debugging output.  I'm not
starting it with -d.  The data appears all at once - it's not slowly
logging, but within minutes will create a file and fill it as much as
possible.  Next time it happens I'll try and save some of the lines from
it.

The only non-"zone" sections of my named.conf are:

  options {
          directory "/etc/namedb";
  };

  logging {
          category cname { null; };
          category lame-servers { null; };
  };

That dir is where the debugging file is dumped.

The OS is FreeBSD 2.2.8.

	Brian

Re: Out of space again.

Posted by Marcus Butler <ma...@worldspice.net>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> F*(&% named dumping core, or at least some big debugging file.  Is there a
> way to tell it dump its load elsewhere, or not at all?  Perhaps in the
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named.sh script I could set resource limits?

 Is it dumping core, or is it dumping a datafile?  I couldn't say
exactly what bind is doing
without looking at the named.conf file.  Named will typically only dump
debugging information
if you start it with the '-d' flag.  It can also dump some caching
information, but that tends
to be rather small.

 Assuming that it is dumping a corefile, you should be able to add
'coresize 0M;' to the
"options" section of named.conf (of course, you could change '0M' to any
random size).

 Or, if that initscript uses bash as its interpreter, and the underlying
OS supports changing
resources limits dynamically (Linux and FreeBSD both do, for example)
you can add 'ulimit -c 0'
to the initscript.  This will prevent a core file from being written to
disk.  You can also
change the zero to some other number, which would specify a maximum size
for the corefile.

 Both of those methods only work if the underlying OS supports changing
resource limits.  If
your OS does not support changing these limits, you might have luck
setting 'datasize' (in
named.conf) to a relatively small value, like 20M or so.

	 Marcus

Re: Out of space again.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
F*(&% named dumping core, or at least some big debugging file.  Is there a
way to tell it dump its load elsewhere, or not at all?  Perhaps in the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/named.sh script I could set resource limits?

Bind 8.1.4, btw.

	Brian