Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Huy Le <hu...@springpartners.com> on 2011/03/15 18:44:05 UTC

nodetool repair on cluster

Hi,

We have a cluster with 12 servers and use RF=3.  When running nodetool
repair, do we have to run it on all nodes on the cluster or can we run on
every 3rd node?  Thanks!

Huy

--
Huy Le
Spring Partners, Inc.

Re: nodetool repair on cluster

Posted by Huy Le <hu...@springpartners.com>.
Thanks Jonathan, Aaron, Daniel!  I have a related question.

I would like to get a copy of data from these 12-server cluster with
manually assigned babanced server tokens, and set it up on a new cluster.  I
would like to minimize the number of the server on the new cluster without
having to  build 12 servers on new cluster, copy snapshots from old cluster
to new cluster, and start de-commission some servers on new cluster to get
it down to the desired number of servers on the new cluster.  I am OK with
missing data since the last repair ran on the old cluster.   Would the
following data copy strategy work?

Create a new cluster with 4 servers and manually assign balanced server
tokens to these four servers; copy most recent snapshot from every 3rd
server from the old cluster (of 12 servers) and put them on the new cluster
in the same order as they were from old cluster.  Run repair on every other
node or all nodes on new cluster.

Thanks!

Huy

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
right, every 3rd node is adequate w/ RUS/SimpleStrategy since each
node repairs all the ranges it has replicated to it.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: nodetool repair on cluster