Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Sandeep Shahane <Sa...@symantec.com> on 2006/07/28 15:58:02 UTC

Errors building xerces on AIX

Hi,
    I am building xerces library on AIX (4.3.3, but later plan to also
build on 5.x versions) with runconfigure options as ./runConfigure -p
aix -c gcc -x g++ -d -C "--prefix=/usr/local/xerces". (I do not have
native AIX compiler.)

After building all .o files it gives error makeC++SharedLib not found. I
searched over the web for this error, and seems like it still uses
native xcl compiler that I dont have. So, now I want to override it with
equivalent g++ options. What do I need to do (is only changes
Makefile.incl sufficient, or did I miss anything else) ?

What are the appropriate g++ options that I need to specify 'coz the
options that i tried as below still gives errors

g++ -DAIX -shared -fPIC  -Wl,-soname,libxerces-c.so -o
/home/mpai/xerces/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/lib/libxerces-c.so

I tried modifying Makefile.incl in AIX section to make shared lib with
g++ -v --shared ${LDFLAGS} options that also didn't work.

Thanks and Regards,
Sandeep

RE: Errors building xerces on AIX

Posted by sandip shahane <sa...@yahoo.com>.
I used this Makefile.incl and linked newly built .o
files. But now getting some linker "Undefined symbol"
errors. there were few _pthread related errors that I
resolved using -mthreads option, but still getting
error as
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol:
.pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np

I searched for this error to get following link.

http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-c-dev&m=101666939623756&w=2

that suggests using
pthread_mutexattr_settype (attr,
PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE);

instead of
//pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np(attr,
MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP);

And that solves my problem.
As both of the  above funcitons do the same thing, I
think it works.
Please let me know if it can not be done for some
reason.

Thanks,
Sandeep Shahane

--- "Pluta, Edward" <Ed...@csgsystems.com>

using wstring?

Posted by sandip shahane <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hello all,
 Now that I have got compilable source code and
library available i am looking to write test code. One
thing i want to know is, is there any kind of wstring
support with xerces? My application is intended to use
wstring based class (It is must since all code base
that was earlier on windows is using wstring, and now
i want to port it to other platforms of UNIX). Also it
shall support I18 viz. foreign language character set
e.g. japanese etc... I have seen XMLString examples at
some places that does ::transcode(...) to and fro
XMLCh * to char * . What does this transcode(...) do?
If possible my strategy is to use this way to get char
* from xerces's XMLCh * and convert it back to wstring
using wcstombs and vice versa.
Has anybody done this way, any issues, or alternatives
because i think this is going to be too expensive.
Is there any better way? Or has anybody used any other
simpler way? If so, some sample code will be greatly
helpful.

Thanks,
Sandeep Shahane

RE: Errors building xerces on AIX

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
"Pluta, Edward" <Ed...@csgsystems.com> wrote on 07/31/2006 12:12:36
PM:

> Glad it worked for you. :)
>
> I just realized this is the xerces-p list. If you intend to build
> xerces-p on AIX let me know; It's even more difficult (when using gcc),
> but I have most of my notes and updated files.
>
> Does anyone on this list know who to contact to submit patches for
> either xerces-c or xerces-p?

The best way to do this is to create a set of diffs against SVN and attach
them to a JIRA issue [1][2]. Depending on whether your patches are new
features you may also need to fill out a contributor license agreement
[3]. There's more on this in section 7 of the Xerces Charter at:
http://xerces.apache.org/charter.html.

> Regards.
> ed

Thanks.