Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2007/03/06 14:55:58 UTC

Server suddenly using GMT instead of local time

I had a weird thing happen yesterday:

I'm running TC 5.5.12 on Windows 2000 server.  The jre is version
1.5.0_07.  I did windows updates through IE, and used tzedit to update
the DST settings, then rebooted the server.  Everything came back up
normally, but when I looked at the data being written by my app, the
timestamp that it uses to tag when the data was received was suddenly
using GMT instead of local time.  I didn't do any code changes to the
app; just the windows updates and the DST change.  The machine itself
was still on local time, and the time zone was still correct (U.S.
Eastern Time), but the data being written had a timestamp of 5 hours ahead.

Any idea what could cause this? I'm still working on replicating it, but
so far cannot do so on my dev machine.

Thanks!
Dave

Re: Server suddenly using GMT instead of local time

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Ok, thanks.  This gave me enough to go on that I could find the fix with
a bit of googling.  Apparently it's something that occasionally happens
in Win2k when messing with timezones and updates.  The workaround was to
just change the timezone to something different and then change it back,
and everything is fine now.

Thanks for the hint!!
Dave

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.