Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org> on 2006/06/14 15:20:17 UTC

Altering log message in Python before closing editor?

Something that I am looking at right now is using ra for talking to SVN
remotely and without having a working copy. The SVN version I'm using now
is trunk as of about a week ago.

It looks like to get an editor, you have to
call ra.svn_ra_get_commit_editor2(), the second argument to which is the
log message.

In a scenario where someone gets an editor not exactly knowing ahead of
time what will be done, does a bunch of stuff, then closes the editor
thereby committing the transaction - is there some way to alter the log
message just before closing the editor?

Thanks,

Grisha

Re: Altering log message in Python before closing editor?

Posted by Jelmer Vernooij <je...@samba.org>.
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 11:20 -0400, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> Something that I am looking at right now is using ra for talking to SVN
> remotely and without having a working copy. The SVN version I'm using now
> is trunk as of about a week ago.
>
> It looks like to get an editor, you have to
> call ra.svn_ra_get_commit_editor2(), the second argument to which is the
> log message.
>
> In a scenario where someone gets an editor not exactly knowing ahead of
> time what will be done, does a bunch of stuff, then closes the editor
> thereby committing the transaction - is there some way to alter the log
> message just before closing the editor?
I don't think you can - the C API doesn't expose the ability to do that
either.

Cheers,

Jelmer
--
Jelmer Vernooij <je...@samba.org> - http://samba.org/~jelmer/

Re: Altering log message in Python before closing editor?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/14/06, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Something that I am looking at right now is using ra for talking to SVN
> remotely and without having a working copy. The SVN version I'm using now
> is trunk as of about a week ago.
>
> It looks like to get an editor, you have to
> call ra.svn_ra_get_commit_editor2(), the second argument to which is the
> log message.
>
> In a scenario where someone gets an editor not exactly knowing ahead of
> time what will be done, does a bunch of stuff, then closes the editor
> thereby committing the transaction - is there some way to alter the log
> message just before closing the editor?

I don't believe there is.  Currently the underlying C code just takes
the log message as an argument, and I can't find any way to reset it
later.  So to do that would require changes to the underlying C code.
I haven't looked too in depth about how the log message is used (if
it's sent up to the server early in the process or late in the process
or what), so it may be more complex than just adding a new "set commit
log" function or making the commit editor retrieve it via a callback
or something...

-garrett