Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by da...@chaosreigns.com on 2011/04/07 22:31:20 UTC

How do you maintain your mass-check target folders?

Do you actually move all your hams from your inbox to a separate
"confirmed ham" folder?

Or do you only run mass-check manually, just after verifying everything
in your inbox is ham?

Or do you just run mass-check from cron with your inbox listed as ham, in
hopes that you usually won't get a spam in your inbox between the last time
you checked and when mass-check runs?

I thought I was real clever, copying the "cur" directories from my maildirs
to another temporary directory, then running mass-check on them.  But it
turns out that mutt actually moves mail from "new" to "cur" when it
switches status from N (new) to O (old).  So I was effectively doing the
third option above.  (And making mutt not change that status breaks its
ability to switch to the next folder with new mail via tab.)

It seems to me like it would be so much better to be able to just tell
mass-check to ignore unread emails.  Might even make sense as a default?  I
realize it's not desirable for spam traps.

and wrong." - H. L. Mencken
http://www.ChaosReigns.com

Re: How do you maintain your mass-check target folders?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

> Do you actually move all your hams from your inbox to a separate
> "confirmed ham" folder?

I have a bunch of folders I use to classify mail I want to keep long term.
Some of them are marked as ham corpus sources. I also have explicit spam
folders that I manually classify the junk into. Nothing is automatically
fed to masscheck.

Typically every morning I go through my SA quarantine and drop them into
one of the SA masscheck spam folders, and I'll occasionally copy specific
messages that I don't put into one of my long-term classification folders
into the ham_misc folder (which is marked as ham corpus) - for example,
I've been collecting the Glorian swap list mails for the ham corpus that
way.

The rare spam that makes it into my inbox also gets dropped into one of
the masscheck spam folders.

I don't run masscheck on my inbox because I upload all of my corpora, not
just the one corpus file that helps feed Justin's sought-fraud ruleset.

I have a script that I run after I've read my morning mail that copies the
corpora folders over to an outbound directory structure that mimics the
corpus upload directory structure. This script also does cleanup
processing like strip SA markup and the DEFANGing that my security tool
does, filters out old messages, and prevents dupes (using fetchmail tools'
msgid cache) in case something accidentally gets copied to a folder twice,
or to more than one folder. Then it all gets rsync'd up to the masscheck
server.

I'll be happy to provide that script if anybody's interested.

   Our government should bear in mind the fact that the American
   Revolution was touched off by the then-current government
   attempting to confiscate firearms from the people.
  6 days until Thomas Jefferson's 268th Birthday

Re: How do you maintain your mass-check target folders?

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 7.4.2011 23:31, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Do you actually move all your hams from your inbox to a separate
> "confirmed ham" folder?

Yes I do. I have separate .Confirmed-HAM and .Confirmed-SPAM folders.

I copy mail to those manually, and run mass-check by cron.

> It seems to me like it would be so much better to be able to just tell
> mass-check to ignore unread emails.  Might even make sense as a default?  I
> realize it's not desirable for spam traps.

All my mail in those folders are in Read-status, so this would not make
a difference for me.

--

Rebellion lay in his way, and he found it.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"

Re: How do you maintain your mass-check target folders?

Posted by "Warren Togami Jr." <wt...@gmail.com>.
On 4/7/2011 11:17 AM, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 04/07, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>> All of my incoming mail is CC'ed to a separate account, and all
>> sorting is done within that account.  The masscheck ham folder is
>> entirely separate from my Inbox.
>
> So if you get a spam that SA misses, you need to delete it twice, in
> your inbox and your masscheck ham folder?

Yes.

>> I run from cron, but given I don't masscheck my inbox this is not an issue.
>
> So you move all email out of the inbox for that separate account?  Wouldn't
> it be easier if you could leave the ham there, and just move the spam?

I do it this way because only a portion of my Inbox is suitable for
masscheck.  I exclude anything from cron, mail relayed through a trusted
host, and a few other types.

Warren

Re: How do you maintain your mass-check target folders?

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 04/07, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> All of my incoming mail is CC'ed to a separate account, and all
> sorting is done within that account.  The masscheck ham folder is
> entirely separate from my Inbox.

So if you get a spam that SA misses, you need to delete it twice, in
your inbox and your masscheck ham folder?

> I run from cron, but given I don't masscheck my inbox this is not an issue.

So you move all email out of the inbox for that separate account?  Wouldn't
it be easier if you could leave the ham there, and just move the spam?

> Do not change the default behavior because people depend on the
> default behavior.  I agree that would be a desirable option, but
> only as an option.

Reasonable enough.

--
"We will be dead soon. Is this how we want to live?"

Posted by "Warren Togami Jr." <wt...@gmail.com>.