Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Marc Hoppins <ma...@eset.com> on 2022/08/24 07:06:13 UTC

Erroneous node. - node is not a member of the

Hi all,

I added a node but forgot to specify the correct rack so I stopped the join and removed it.  When I tried adding it again it was taking a LONG time to join.  I tried draining before stopping the service but that failed. I killed the process and cleared the directories but the cluster status still shows this node as UJ despite the Cassandra service not running on that node.

I tried removenode force but got this message back: node to be removed is not a member of the token ring

I tried assassinate but the node is still UJ according to nodetool status even though the service is not running on the affected node.

I read an article on datastax but that was concerning gossip purge and referred to removing data from the Cassandra/data/system/peers-UUID directory. However, I saw no directory with anything which resembled the UUID of this anomalous node on any of the nodes in the cluster.

How can I remove this from the cluster/ring so that I can re-add?

Marc

RE: Erroneous node. - node is not a member of the

Posted by Marc Hoppins <ma...@eset.com>.
Update again:

The dc1-cass14 node stopped accepting/bootstrapping/streaming early on and now there is just a bunch of

WARN  [OptionalTasks:1] 2022-08-24 13:10:16,761 CassandraRoleManager.java:344 - CassandraRoleManager skipped default role setup: some nodes were not ready
INFO  [OptionalTasks:1] 2022-08-24 13:10:16,762 CassandraRoleManager.java:370 - Setup task failed with error, rescheduling
WARN  [OptionalTasks:1] 2022-08-24 13:10:26,763 CassandraRoleManager.java:344 - CassandraRoleManager skipped default role setup: some nodes were not ready
INFO  [OptionalTasks:1] 2022-08-24 13:10:26,763 CassandraRoleManager.java:370 - Setup task failed with error, rescheduling
WARN  [OptionalTasks:1] 2022-08-24 13:10:36,764 CassandraRoleManager.java:344 - CassandraRoleManager skipped default role setup: some nodes were not ready
INFO  [OptionalTasks:1] 2022-08-24 13:10:36,765 CassandraRoleManager.java:370 - Setup task failed with error, rescheduling

Am I going to have to remove this node and try again?

Posted by Marc Hoppins <ma...@eset.com>.
Update: