Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> on 2016/11/08 13:54:19 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Merge apex-runner to master branch

Hi,

As per previous discussion [1], I would like to propose to merge the
apex-runner branch into master. The runner satisfies the criteria outlined
in [2] and merging it to master will give more visibility to other
contributors and users.

Specifically the Apex runner addresses:

   - Have at least 2 contributors interested in maintaining it, and 1
   committer interested in supporting it:  *I'm going to sign up for the
   support and there are more folks interested. Some have already contributed
   and helped with PR reviews, others from the Apex community have expressed
   interest [3].*
   - Provide both end-user and developer-facing documentation:  *Runner has
   README, capability matrix, Javadoc. Planning to add it to the tutorial
   later.*
   - Have at least a basic level of unit test coverage:  *Has 30 runner
   specific tests and passes all Beam RunnableOnService tests.*
   - Run all existing applicable integration tests with other Beam
   components and create additional tests as appropriate: * Enabled runner
   for examples integration tests in the same way as other runners.*
   - Be able to handle a subset of the model that address a significant set of
   use cases (aka. ‘traditional batch’ or ‘processing time
streaming’):  *Passes
   RunnableOnService without exclusions and example IT.*
   - Update the capability matrix with the current status:  *Done.*
   - Add a webpage under learn/runners: *Same "TODO" page as other runners
   added to site.*

The PR for the merge: https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam/pull/1305

(There are intermittent test failures in individual Travis runs that are
unrelated to the runner.)

Thanks,
Thomas

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2b420a35f05e47561f27c19e8ec6484f595553f32da88fe593ad931d@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

[2] http://beam.apache.org/contribute/contribution-guide/#feature-branches

[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e7618768cdcde81c28aa9883a1fcf4d3d4e41de4249547
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6e7618768cdcde81c28aa9883a1fcf4d3d4e41de4249547130691d52@%3Cdev.apex.apache.org%3E>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge apex-runner to master branch

Posted by Dan Halperin <dh...@google.com.INVALID>.
Nice! +1

Posted by Thomas Groh <tg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1, with enthusiasm.

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Mukul Jain <mu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Great work Thomas !!

Regards
JB

\u2063\u200b

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com>.
+1 awesome.
Congrats Thomas!

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi Thomas,

Very good point about establishing more clear definitions of the roles
mentioned in the guidelines. Let's discuss in a separate thread.

Kenn

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com.INVALID>.