Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Petr Cvengros <pe...@volny.cz> on 2011/02/19 15:22:32 UTC

Mahout beginner's how-to

Hello,

I've written a short beginner's how-to on building Mahout and creating
a simple recommender:
http://code.google.com/p/unresyst/wiki/CreateMahoutRecommender

I don't think anyone in this mailing list will find it useful, but at
least you can check it and potentially direct there the newbies asking
questions.

Have a nice day!

Petr

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like most questions concern setup of a project. I agree it's
not trivial to understand how to use Maven, though that's a question
of learning Maven rather than Mahout. Likewise for Eclipse, or for
IntelliJ, or for integrating this into an Ant project, or setting up a
servlet container. There are a hundred setups you could document. All
are useful -- just that it's a load of work to write and maintain!

There is generally much more work that could be done than there is
active contribution to the project. So this sort of activity in the
wiki or project is most welcome as it's not going to get done
otherwise probably; the code itself still needs plenty of work let
alone documentation, which I don't think anyone is meaningfully
working on at the moment. Parts of the implementation have gone a bit
stale already and so are in ways inconsistent with other parts, which
contributes to the getting-started problem.

The scope of the project is ambitious, and it is hard to make this
stuff a simple API as the underlying mechanics are complex enough, and
the use cases so varied, that a really complete packaging and
treatment of it even in the code would be a project five times larger.
Beyond basic usage, you need to be at HEAD in Subversion and in the
source code to understand and work with it anyway. This is just going
to be hard to gently introduce no matter what..

I think it gets better over time as things slowly mature and ways of
doing things on Hadoop get more standard. In the short term it's only
going to improve through contributions so these are all very welcome.
Putting this into the project wiki would be the most ideal thing.

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Dan Brickley <da...@danbri.org>.

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Kasun Lakpriya <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Petr and all,

This is very helpful one for beginner like me and thank you very much for
sharing this information. Few months back me too found [1] and worked a
maven project with that. I think that project will do some small help for
somebody who is trying to understand the basics and see what happens. So I
created a google-code project and added what I had in my machine. It can be
found here [2].

One more request from Mahout experts is if you can add some more resources
like academic papers and etc. to the site from the basic level it will be a
real help for all who interested in Mahout.

[1] -
http://philippeadjiman.com/blog/2009/11/11/flexible-collaborative-filtering-in-java-with-mahout-taste/
[2] - https://code.google.com/p/presence/

--
Thanks and Regards,
Kasun

http://twitter.com/kasunLak
http://kasun86.blogspot.com/
http://kasunlak.tumblr.com/

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Petr Cvengros <pe...@volny.cz>.

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Chris Schilling <ch...@cellixis.com>.
Hey Petr,

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Petr Cvengros <pe...@volny.cz>.

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Petr,

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Diego Tejera <di...@gmail.com>.

--
Diego Tejera
http://diegotejera.org

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Jeremy Lewi <je...@lewi.us>.
Petr,

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by john abbott <ab...@gmail.com>.
HI Peter,

--
John Abbott
Co-Founder

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Petr,

Re: Mahout beginner's how-to

Posted by JAGANADH G <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Petr Cvengros <pe...@volny.cz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've written a short beginner's how-to on building Mahout and creating
> a simple recommender:
> http://code.google.com/p/unresyst/wiki/CreateMahoutRecommender
>
> I don't think anyone in this mailing list will find it useful, but at
> least you can check it and potentially direct there the newbies asking
> questions.

Some samples of Recommendation and Document Classification is available at
my repo
https://bitbucket.org/jaganadhg/blog/src/tip/bck9/java/src/org/bc/kl/

--
JAGANADH G