Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by ch...@zv.fraunhofer.de on 2017/07/20 19:54:30 UTC

Modifying a service offering in the cloudstack DB

Dear all,

as there is no means to modify an existing Cloudstack Service Offering neither  via Cloudstack API nor with the GUI, I’m wondering what would happen if the CPU speed of the service offerings is changed directly in the cloud DB (table service_offering). Does this have any impact on existing VMs? Would this be a valid way to modify an existing Service Offering?

We did some very brief test and it seem to work fine, but before doing the change in our production environment I’d like to know if anyone else has done something similar?

The reason why I’m trying to do this is as follows:
In all our Service Offerings for user VMs we have set the CPU Speed to 1999 Mhz. Unfortunately, the CPUs of our most recent hosts only provide 1995 MHz, leading to the situation that no VM is deployed on these servers as the hosts do not have the proper cpu capability (speed 1995 is provided but 1999 is required).

Cheers, Christian

PS: We’re still on Cloudstack 4.5.1

Re: Modifying a service offering in the cloudstack DB

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hi, Daniel.

You are completely right. Change your CPU Freq in DB is safe, an CPU
overprovisioning will help you.

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks Software, Ltd.

Re: Modifying a service offering in the cloudstack DB

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
No problem, glad you got it sorted.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 24/07/2017, 10:30, "daniel.herrmann@zv.fraunhofer.de" <da...@zv.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

    Hi Dag,

    thanks again. We modified the DB last Friday and so far, this seems to work. We could move VMs to the new Hosts and new VMs are provisioned there as well.

    Thank you again for your help.

    Regards
    Daniel

    Am 21.07.17, 11:26 schrieb "Dag Sonstebo" <Da...@shapeblue.com>:

        Hi Daniel,

        Resource calculation will not be greatly affected by 4Mhz – you should be safe here. Keep in mind you are running with something like a 75% alert and 85% disable threshold on your clusters (see cluster settings / global settings) – and unless you increase the disable threshold to 100% you will never completely max out to the extent 4MHz will make a difference.

        CPU overprovisioning is all about the overall amount of CPU resources available – not what speed each VM will receive.

        Regards,
        Dag Sonstebo
        Cloud Architect
        ShapeBlue