Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net> on 2000/04/12 05:17:34 UTC

ANN: Java and XML

OK folks:

	If you don't know who the heck I am, I'm Brett McLaughlin ;-)
Seriously, I used to be fairly active on this list, and have been
lurking for several months.  The reason I've dropped out of existence
(as Pier, Stefano, Donald, and some of the veterans know) is that I'm
writing the "Java and XML" book for O'Reilly & Associates.  In fact, I'm
finishing getting the book off to production this week.  While that in
itself may not make you give a rip, this should:

	There is an entire chapter on Apache Cocoon.  Chapter 9, Web-Publishing
Frameworks, looks at what a web-publishing framework is.  It goes
through how to select one, and makes a pretty strong argument that
Apache Cocoon is the correct choice today.  That's actually pretty bold
for an author to do, you know ;-)  I'm potentially offending lots of
Enhydra, SAXON, etc. type users.  I hope they don't take it that way,
but I do believe that Cocoon is the most fully features framework right
now, and focuses on that in particular.  I cover how to go from a clean
machine to getting Cocoon from CVS, building it using Ant, configuring
it with Apache Tomcat, and using it.  I include examples for browser
dependent styling, for example discriminating between Netscape and IE.
I spend some time looking at WAP and WML, and have examples of building
an XSL stylesheet to convert an XML document into WML, and have shots of
the Unwired Planet SDK browser reading that.  I cover XSP, including how
to use it, how to access request parameters, and how to create a tag
library.  Examination of FOP is included, and I show how to convert XML
to a PDF with formatting objects and Cocoon.
	Obviously I am covering the 1.x version; until 2.0 is out and final,
and stable, 1.x is the right choice for production environments.  There
is a section at the end focusing on what Cocoon 2.0 brings, such as the
sitemap and enhanced contracts between components.
	As if that wasn't enough (guys, I think this is a big deal; all of
O'Reilly is excited about Cocoon coverage), we are using this chapter as
the beta chapter to put online at http://www.oreilly.com.  That means
that everyone and their dog is going to see what the O'Reilly XML book
looks like, and get a whopping 37 8.5" x 11" pages (that's about 60
pages in O'Reilly published format!) of Cocoon.  So buckle up -
predictions are for this book to do well, so I'm personally hoping to
see the user list double in size and the developer list to increase by
50%.
	This isn't a marketing deal for me, I hope you know (Stefano will
hopefully vouch for me ;-) ), but it is a big deal.  In addition to
hoping everyone buys the book as a promotion to O'Reilly of the power of
Cocoon and open source (the Xerces parser and Xalan transformer are used
throughout the entire book, as well as XML-RPC libraries that are open
source), please support new users as they come online and try to find
out more.

Thanks, and if anyone is interested I can give more information as to
the rest of the book's contents.

-Brett McLaughlin
Author, "Java and XML", O'Reilly & Associates

p.s. Sorry guys, I didn't get the SQL or LDAP processor in - I just
didn't have room.  But, there are things brewing that may fix that over
time ;-)

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net>.

Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Brett McLaughlin wrote:
> >
> > >         As if that wasn't enough (guys, I think this is a big deal; all of
> > > O'Reilly is excited about Cocoon coverage), we are using this chapter as
> > > the beta chapter to put online at http://www.oreilly.com.  That means
> > > that everyone and their dog is going to see what the O'Reilly XML book
> > > looks like, and get a whopping 37 8.5" x 11" pages (that's about 60
> > > pages in O'Reilly published format!) of Cocoon.  So buckle up -
> > > predictions are for this book to do well, so I'm personally hoping to
> > > see the user list double in size and the developer list to increase by
> > > 50%.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Anyway, Brett, I think I can speak for the whole Cocoon and Apache XML
> > community thanking you for this.
> >
> > I really hope you apply for cocoon document writing soon :) if you want
> > commit access, just ask (but you already knew that, but I'll dream
> > on...)
> >
> > Anyway, selfishly, do you think I did enough to deserve an autographed
> > copy of the book? :)
>
> Naw, but I'm sure I heard him say that O'Reilly was going to tithe from
> the book's profits to the ASF... I'm almost positive I heard him say that
> :)

;-)  no, but now I have to make sure that everything works, so at least
I'll be able to work on Apache stuff again :)

-brett

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net>.

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Brett McLaughlin wrote:

[...]

>         As if that wasn't enough (guys, I think this is a big deal; all of
> O'Reilly is excited about Cocoon coverage), we are using this chapter as
> the beta chapter to put online at http://www.oreilly.com.  That means
> that everyone and their dog is going to see what the O'Reilly XML book
> looks like, and get a whopping 37 8.5" x 11" pages (that's about 60
> pages in O'Reilly published format!) of Cocoon.  So buckle up -
> predictions are for this book to do well, so I'm personally hoping to
> see the user list double in size and the developer list to increase by
> 50%.

[...]

What can I say? I'm both impressed, honored and scared :)

Scared because this is a _big_ press coverage and we'll see the user
list double or triple in a few months. Gee, I hope you're going to help
up to take care of all those new users asking a bunch of questions.

Anyway, Brett, I think I can speak for the whole Cocoon and Apache XML
community thanking you for this.

I really hope you apply for cocoon document writing soon :) if you want
commit access, just ask (but you already knew that, but I'll dream
on...)

Anyway, selfishly, do you think I did enough to deserve an autographed
copy of the book? :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> "Rajkumar, Joseph" wrote:
> >
> >     Would it be possible for readers of this mailing to get
> > any SPECIAL discount, because as you know only
> > the converted read this mailing-list ;-)
>
> The converted pay any price, that's called religion. It's the heathen
> that have to be touted with discounts :)

    Oh, this line is so very true. I did have a haughty laugh at the
way you put. AGREED ;-)

> Anyway, I was missing an URL for reading that cocoon chapter and the
> announcement when the cocoon book will be read ;-)

    Yes, I went fishing for that article on oreilly's page and I did not
find it.
I wish we will be informed about the URL when the chapter becomes
available

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi Brett

    That's sounds great. Actually a short while ago, I showed
Cocoon in all its glory to a friend of mine and he was
nearly salivating.

    Keep us posted as to when it will hit the bookstore.

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Brett McLaughlin wrote:

[...]

>         As if that wasn't enough (guys, I think this is a big deal; all of
> O'Reilly is excited about Cocoon coverage), we are using this chapter as
> the beta chapter to put online at http://www.oreilly.com.  That means
> that everyone and their dog is going to see what the O'Reilly XML book
> looks like, and get a whopping 37 8.5" x 11" pages (that's about 60
> pages in O'Reilly published format!) of Cocoon.  So buckle up -
> predictions are for this book to do well, so I'm personally hoping to
> see the user list double in size and the developer list to increase by
> 50%.

[...]

Re: ANN: Java and XML

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> OK folks:
>
>         If you don't know who the heck I am, I'm Brett McLaughlin ;-)
> Seriously, I used to be fairly active on this list, and have been
> lurking for several months.  The reason I've dropped out of existence
> (as Pier, Stefano, Donald, and some of the veterans know) is that I'm
> writing the "Java and XML" book for O'Reilly & Associates.  In fact, I'm
> finishing getting the book off to production this week.  While that in
> itself may not make you give a rip, this should:
<snip>

Rock on!  More fuel towards Apache world domination :)

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org

Re: parse XML String in java code

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
rong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If i want to parse a String(in a piece of java code), which is in form of
> XML document, what should i do? The String can be in form of:
>
> String s1 = " <POEM> <AUTHOR> Ogden Nash </AUTHOR> <TITLE> Fleas </TITLE>
> <LINE> Adam had'em. </LINE></POEM> ";
>
> In SAXParser, the function:
>
>  Parser parser = ParserFactory.makeParser("com.ibm.xml.parsers.SAXParser");
>  parser.setDocumentHandler(titleFinder);
>  parser.parse(new InputSource(args[0]));

Use: parser.parse (new InputSource (new StringReader (s1));

Giacomo

--
PWR Organisation & Entwicklung            Tel:   +41 (0)1 856 2202
Giacomo Pati                              Fax:   +41 (0)1 856 2201

parse XML String in java code