Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by f-...@insa-tachi-s.com.mx on 2004/09/29 20:29:49 UTC

Problem whit this message cannot resolve symbol

Hi i´m begginer in Tomcat and Java and i´ve a problem.
I try run a JSP , but the next error appear, some one know the reasons?
The JSP use a simple class, when i run the example by shell (only for
test) all it´s OK, but when the JSP call the Class i get the Error.
My classPath it´s ok, i´ve review it.
Thanks.
ype Exception report
message
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.
exception

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /Example.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/work/Catalina/localhost/Mysql-conn/org/apache/jsp/Example_jsp.java:55:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class clsDisplayHtml
location: class org.apache.jsp.Example_jsp
                 clsDisplayHtml m_ClsDisplayHTML = new
clsDisplayHtml(m_StrAppName, m_StrWebMEmail, m_StrWebMName,
m_StrPageTitle);
        ^

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /Example.jsp

Generated servlet error:
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/work/Catalina/localhost/Mysql-conn/org/apache/jsp/Example_jsp.java:55:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class clsDisplayHtml
location: class org.apache.jsp.Example_jsp
                 clsDisplayHtml m_ClsDisplayHTML = new
clsDisplayHtml(m_StrAppName, m_StrWebMEmail, m_StrWebMName,
m_StrPageTitle);
                                              ^

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /Example.jsp

Generated servlet error:
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/work/Catalina/localhost/Mysql-conn/org/apache/jsp/Example_jsp.java:60:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class clsReadProps
location: class org.apache.jsp.Example_jsp
                 clsReadProps m_ClsProperties = new
clsReadProps("mysql.properties");
        ^

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /Example.jsp

Generated servlet error:
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/work/Catalina/localhost/Mysql-conn/org/apache/jsp/Example_jsp.java:60:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class clsReadProps
location: class org.apache.jsp.Example_jsp
                 clsReadProps m_ClsProperties = new
clsReadProps("mysql.properties");
                                           ^

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /Example.jsp

Generated servlet error:
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/work/Catalina/localhost/Mysql-conn/org/apache/jsp/Example_jsp.java:65:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class clsDbBean
location: class org.apache.jsp.Example_jsp
                 clsDbBean m_ClsDataBase = new clsDbBean(m_StrDriver,
m_StrUrl, m_StrUser, m_StrPass);
        ^

An error occurred at line: 3 in the jsp file: /Example.jsp

Generated servlet error:
/opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/work/Catalina/localhost/Mysql-conn/org/apache/jsp/Example_jsp.java:65:
cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class clsDbBean
location: class org.apache.jsp.Example_jsp
                 clsDbBean m_ClsDataBase = new clsDbBean(m_StrDriver,
m_StrUrl, m_StrUser, m_StrPass);
                                      ^
6 errors

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:127)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:351)
 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:415)
 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:458)
 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:553)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:291)
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:301)
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
 javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Tomcat
logs.

Apache Tomcat/5.0.19

Re: Problem whit this message cannot resolve symbol

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
Tomcat sets it's own classpath.  You add your classes by placing them in
the specified directories.

This should get you started:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/index.html

This page has the specifics on classloading:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Posted by Gerardo Juarez <ge...@computo-industrial.com.mx>.
The Java runtime env. cannot find the class clsDisplayHtml. It may be:

- you defined it but is elsewhere. Is it yours? some library's?
- your invoking it with a different name (ClsDisplayHtml is different to
clsDisplayHtml, for example).