Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dirk the Daring <di...@psicorps.org> on 2005/06/23 18:40:35 UTC

SA v3.0.4 install error

   Hello, fellow SA admins. I'm installing SA v3.0.4 for the first time,
and I'm running into a problem that I hope someone on here can tell me
how to fix.

The System:
	Solaris 8 on Sparc
	Perl v5.8.5 (with ExtUtils::MakeMaker v6.17)
	gcc v3.3.2
	Other software: MIMEdefang v2.52, ClamAV v0.85.1,
			sendmail v8.13.4

   This system is a mail relay, with no local user accounts. SA will be
invoked by MIMEDefang, not via procmail or with spamd.

   MIMEDefang runs fine, and it relies heavily on Perl, so I'm pretty
sure that my Perl install in /opt/perl is OK.

   I download and unpack the SA source, and then build the Makefile
with:

   /usr/bin/perl ./Makefile.PL PREFIX=/opt/sa DATADIR=/opt/sa/rules CONFDIR=/opt/sa/conf LIB=/opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.5

   Makefile is generated just fine, and make doesn't have any problems.
make test reports:

	All tests successful, 7 tests skipped.

   make install also runs without error.

   Two Issues:

1) Despite having Pod::Man installed, no man pages get installed (or
even created, as far as I can tell). How can I get the man pages
created?

2) After installing SA, MIMEDefang sees it, but I get the error message

No configuration text or files found! Please check your setup.

   when I try to do anything. This error message vanishes if I remove
SA, and re-appears when I reinstall it, so I'm pretty sure its an
SA-related error.

   What configuration is it looking for, where is it looking, and how do
I give it what it wants?

Dirk

[SOLVED] Re: SA v3.0.4 install error

Posted by Dirk the Daring <di...@psicorps.org>.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, I wrote:

>2) After installing SA, MIMEDefang sees it, but I get the error message
>
>No configuration text or files found! Please check your setup.
>
>   when I try to do anything. This error message vanishes if I remove
>SA, and re-appears when I reinstall it, so I'm pretty sure its an
>SA-related error.

   The problem turned out to be related to the order things ended up on
this server. I installed MIMEDefang last month, and didn't get around to
SpamAssassin until now.

   Because MD was installed before SA, MD did not install itself to
support SA. However, MD does auto-detect SA at run-time, and will use it
if it finds it.

   But the install process for MD still did not copy the config file
that MD wants for SA. It would have done it if SA had been installed
when MD was installed, but I ended up having to do it manually.

Dirk

Man pages missing on install

Posted by Dirk the Daring <di...@psicorps.org>.
The System:

	Solaris 8 on Sparc
	Perl v5.8.5 (with ExtUtils::MakeMaker v6.17 and podlators v1.27)
	gcc v3.3.2

The Problem: