Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> on 2001/10/10 14:58:26 UTC

Re: [OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?

C'mon guys remember to add OT to your off topic messages! It's not that hard.

:)

At 05:14 PM 10/10/2001, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
>I'd like to know where I can get paid more than AU$10/hour (US$4.90 to US$5
>per hour) for my mod_perl programming...
>
>You guys in America get $100US per hour?! My god, I'm in the wrong
>country...

America is richer than Australia.

>Work is scarce in Australia and poorly paid in most cases compared to
>America. If I could get US$20 per hour for programming work I would be
>overjoyed with that!
>
>I'm not experienced in mod_perl commercially so I doubt I would get more
>than that, but I think US$20 per hour is reasonable for quality labor
>nontheless.
>
>I need to work from home. Anybody got any suggestions? I have looked on
>Yahoo for work from home jobs and they seem to be crooks. I never get any

There's part of your problem. Few people trust telecommuters they don't
know unless the job is fairly clear. I know I don't. I have telecommuters
working for us on occasion but I know them or I trust them based on knowing
them through a third party.

You're lucky you get what you get and the price you get it. You're cutting
yourself down of opportunities by having to work at home.

I don't mean to be so frank about it. But really... this is a huge factor.
It's a great luxury to work at home but it rarely works out unless you are
really highly motivated or highly disciplined. Some people are like that,
unfortunately this is not the majority of people so adding the project
management overhead on behalf of the client means having to drop the hourly
wage to the work-at-home consultant.

Re: [VERY OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?

Posted by brian moseley <bc...@maz.org>.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> And imitation Guiness. Also Tooheys, XXXX (Four-X,
> rednecked Queensland favourite), Hahn, etc. Home-brew

imitation guinness is still better than any of the rest.
altho when it's not available i a quite happy with vb!

Re: [VERY OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?

Posted by gn...@ozemail.com.au.
> > Ahh, you have Budweiser in Australia too, then? ;)
>
> Worse: Fosters.

And imitation Guiness. Also Tooheys, XXXX (Four-X, rednecked Queensland
favourite), Hahn, etc. Home-brew kits are extremely popular. Australians are
the Leonardo Da Vinci's of piss artists - master strokes in the beer
swilling. Our ex Prime Minister Bob Hawke was a sculling champion at Oxford
University, heh heh.

Re: [VERY OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@davehodgkinson.com>.

--
David Hodgkinson, Wizard for Hire        http://www.davehodgkinson.com
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

Re: [VERY OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?

Posted by Chris Devers <ch...@thoughtwave.net>.

Chris Devers                                     chris@thoughtwave.net
Apache / mod_perl      http://bunny.skillcheck.com/admin/chris/resume/

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@davehodgkinson.com>.
Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> writes:

> America is richer than Australia.

Yeah, but the food's better in Oz.

Still, the beer sucks in both ;-)

--
David Hodgkinson, Wizard for Hire        http://www.davehodgkinson.com
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com
All the Purple Family Tree news		      http://www.slashrock.com
   Interim Technical Director, Web Architecture Consultant for hire

Re: [OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?

Posted by gn...@ozemail.com.au.
Yes, they probably have tons of experience too, which I don't have, and I'm
not in Melbourne. I used to work in Melbourne and never saw any jobs for
$80 - $100 per hour, apart from doctors. I'll go have another look.

I need to work from home too which is a major barrier to employment.

Posted by brian moseley <bc...@maz.org>.