Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sung-Gu <je...@apache.org> on 2002/03/06 19:47:26 UTC

Re: How to construct HTTPS org.apache.util.HttpURL?

Hi Mike and guys,
I found that it's somewhat quite hard to answer to you in jakarta process.

The main reason is that it's related to the API copatibility of common-dev and slide-dev.
The second reason is related to understanding URI escaping and character encoding and  and implementing them seperately.
You can refer to http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html and http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt?number=2396
(Thanks to stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de)

There is an HTTP and WebDAV command line client to run and debug in Slide.
I guess that's one of reasons why Mike asks this problem to slide-dev.
I discovered that common-httpclient doesn't have any easy and automatic stuffs  like GenericURI and HttpURL for URI escaping and have talked about nothing about that from www.mail-archive.com. :(
And the slide client doesn't support HTTPS yet, because of the API compatiblity.   :(

These days I have some free time and want that common HTTP client and slide WebDAV client APIs runs close together.
Well, if there are no negative responses, after several days, I will get to add my stuffs to solve the above.  ^^

BTW, actuallly, I've seen this problem from tomcat 3.x    But they haven't fixed it still, while other commercial web servers support it.   :(
And we should considerate the character encoding on the native-language operating systems.
In case, the default encoding is UTF-8, before encoding, the characters are native-language on an operating system.
And after decoding, they might be navtive-language on another operating system.
Getting more complicated considerations...  :(

Sung-Gu

P.S.:
Well...  It's been quite quite long time for me to mail jakarta dev.  ;)
You can guess why I send you guys this mail below...

The authors for URIUtil.java from URLUtil.java:
  craigmcc@apache.org; tdawson@apache.org; remm@apache.org; jericho@apache.org; rwaldhoff@apache.org;
The recently issuers titled "Special letters" on slide-dev mailing list:
   mike_gartrell@hp.com; Juergen.Pill@softwareag.com; jacob@qualiware.com; stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de, ......