Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Moore <Jo...@PDSI-Software.COM> on 2002/03/26 18:27:04 UTC

confusing server-status results

Help, I'm stumped!

I am looking at the output of the server-status and have many, many results
in an "R" state.  These are inactive connections that are minutes to hours
old.  They reference .js and .gif files (none are zero bytes, all are
readable) which are served by Apache while .jsp and /servlet's are handed to
Tomcat 3.3 using mod_jk. When I look at the results with ?notables I can see
the IP address, URL and PID.  If I then lookup the PID out of the log file
the data in server-status does not match the row in the log, it matches the
3rd to last row.   If I call the server-status again I get the same results
so it's not because more people came in between lookups.   I'm trying to
figure out where these are coming from the IP and UserAgent to figure out
what is going on.  Based on what I'm seeing I don't know if I should trust
the log or the server-status as the authoritative record.  I am using Apache
1.3.22/mod_ssl/mod_rewrite/mod_status on Solaris 8 (Sparc).

Does anyone have any experience with this.  In looking through logs to find
user agents for the stuck pids they, more often that not, seem to be Win98
and with non-default browser (AOL, Cox, MSN ), at least that is what reads
in the user agent.  Am wondering if forcing them to revert to HTTP/1.0 is a
bad idea, looks like it's doable from the conf file; just never done it
before.

Thanks,
John Moore

Principal Decision Systems International
625 The City Drive
Suite 190
Orange, CA 92868
800-850-7374