Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> on 2013/03/04 12:19:24 UTC

Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?

Hi,

In the S4 project we have some recent patches from non-committers, but we have doubts on how to integrate them.

In the past, the Jira system had a clearly defined way for the contributor to mark the patch as granted to the ASF.

Typically (wording from the hbase book): "The patch should be attached to the associated Jira ticket "More Actions -> Attach Files". Make sure you click the ASF license inclusion, otherwise the patch can't be considered for inclusion".

Unfortunately it seems that with the latest Jira updates, this option is not available anymore to contributors.

So, now, what is the proper way to ensure a patch can be included in the codebase of an Apache (incubator) project? Do we need contributors, even casual ones, to file an ICLA?

Thanks for any clarification!

Matthieu

Re: Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Sorry about my false answer then, I take it back

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is clear now, there is no room for doubt.
>
> Thanks !
>
> Matthieu
>

> On Mar 4, 2013, at 14:42 , Benson Margulies wrote:
>
> > You DO NOT NEED AN ICLA from these people.
> >
> > Under the terms of the AL, any contribution made back to the ASF on
> > ASF infrastructure, such as via a mailing list, JIRA, or Bugzilla, is
> > licensed to the foundation. The JIRA checkbox existed to give people
> > an easy way to _avoid_ contributing something. There is no need to ask
> > casual patchers for ICLAs.
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In the S4 project we have some recent patches from non-committers, but
> we have doubts on how to integrate them.
> >>
> >> In the past, the Jira system had a clearly defined way for the
> contributor to mark the patch as granted to the ASF.
> >>
> >> Typically (wording from the hbase book): "The patch should be attached
> to the associated Jira ticket "More Actions -> Attach Files". Make sure you
> click the ASF license inclusion, otherwise the patch can't be considered
> for inclusion".
> >>

> >> Unfortunately it seems that with the latest Jira updates, this option
> is not available anymore to contributors.
> >>

> >> So, now, what is the proper way to ensure a patch can be included in
> the codebase of an Apache (incubator) project? Do we need contributors,
> even casual ones, to file an ICLA?
> >>

> >> Thanks for any clarification!
> >>

> >> Matthieu

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?

Posted by Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You DO NOT NEED AN ICLA from these people.
>
> Under the terms of the AL, any contribution made back to the ASF on
> ASF infrastructure, such as via a mailing list, JIRA, or Bugzilla, is
> licensed to the foundation. The JIRA checkbox existed to give people
> an easy way to _avoid_ contributing something. There is no need to ask
> casual patchers for ICLAs.

+1

Here's Roy:

    http://s.apache.org/roy-on-contributions-and-git

    Yes, that opinion comes from me speaking as a board member and author of
    the Apache License, and has previously been cleared with Apache's legal
    team for a long ago discussion with Incubator.  We don't need a CLA on
    file to accept contributions from non-committers.  We just need a clear
    intent by the author to contribute under our normal terms.

    We have archives on all of our communication channels.  We don't
    need the silly checkbox.  We never have.

    ... The authors do not need to have a CLA on file even if the contribution
    is massive -- CLAs are only required for the people who want an account at
    Apache and thus are allowed to make the decision to push those bits into
    our repository.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Usual IANAL clause, but, reading the AL2.0 itself, it says:

"Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including the original
version of the Work and any modifications or additions to that Work or
Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally submitted to Licensor
for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner or by an individual or
Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of the copyright owner. For
the purposes of this definition, "submitted" means any form of
electronic, verbal, or written communication sent to the Licensor or its
representatives, including but not limited to communication on
electronic mailing lists, source code control systems, and issue
tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the Licensor for
the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but excluding
communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in
writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."

By *using* Apache licensed software, you are agreeing to these terms.
Therefore, by submitting code to an ASF system (JIRA, mailing list,
whatever) and not explicitly stating "Not a Contribution", your code can
be taken by the project to be an implicit contribution under the terms
of the Apache License that you agreed to when you started using the
code.

Of course, for anything substantive, we'll want an ICLA to add a further
of provenance guarantee, but for smaller fixes, the above should, as I
understand it, be sufficient.

That is my understanding of the discussion that happened around the time
when the JIRA tick-box was removed: it isn't needed.

Upayavira

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Matthieu Morel <mm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the S4 project we have some recent patches from non-committers, but we
> have doubts on how to integrate them.
>
> In the past, the Jira system had a clearly defined way for the contributor
> to mark the patch as granted to the ASF.
>
> Typically (wording from the hbase book): "The patch should be attached to
> the associated Jira ticket "More Actions -> Attach Files". Make sure you
> click the ASF license inclusion, otherwise the patch can't be considered
> for inclusion".
>

> Unfortunately it seems that with the latest Jira updates, this option is
> not available anymore to contributors.
>

> So, now, what is the proper way to ensure a patch can be included in the
> codebase of an Apache (incubator) project? Do we need contributors, even
> casual ones, to file an ICLA?

I believe that should be the way. The positive side is that it will be one
step less when they are recommended as committers in the future :)

> Thanks for any clarification!
>

> Matthieu

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour