Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com> on 2012/02/16 00:30:07 UTC

[Lucene.Net] FW: trouble getting cms content to work correctly

Took all day, but Joe was there babysitting and correcting things for us. Basically there is a bug in svn 1.6.17 that the CMS is based on, which is making our commits a pain at the moment. Once that gets upgraded it should be relatively smooth sailing. It won't help us though if we want still planning on updating massive amounts of documentation on a regular basis.   Thanks Joe, I can't thank you enough for the help today.
 ~PrescottDate: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:49:48 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: trouble getting cms content to work correctly
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

After some testing it appears that this performancebug is fixed in svn 1.7, but the CMS is currentlyrunning 1.6.17.  I hope to have the host upgradedwithin the next 30 days or so, but for now I stillrecommend using the script.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:25:45 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

I'm having some svn people look at the merge issues.Right now all I can suggest is that you publish usingthe publish.pl script on people.apache.org.  It's takingme about 10 min total to carry that out, which is certainlytoo long given the nature of the changes it's merging,but I'll let you know what I find
 out.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:10:47 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

Ok lemee kill it and use the publish.pl scripton people to see if I can get it to work right.Just curious tho- about how many files do youhave within that docs dir- all in one dir I presume?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:05:21 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

Looks like it just completed.  Hmm, goahead and publish and lets try this onemore time.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:54:52 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

Yeah try out the webgui and edit/commit/publisha minor change.  It should take you no more thana minute or so total.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:48:40 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

Ok it's now fixed and your site should work as expectedat this point.  I had to redact the lazy_publish featureand reserve it for admins only because you don't actuallyhave permission to completely remove your publication
 sitefrom svn and
 that's not something I can offer
 without
 providingyou and every other
 committer with the ability to nukeeach other's entire sites.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:15:32 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com; site-dev@apache.org

Stop Prescott when you get a merge error please.There's something funky going on here that I needto dig into and running publish again won't magicallyfix it.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:50:41 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com; site-dev@apache.org

Yes as I explained before by using lazy_publishyou will incur a performance hit the first timeyou subsequently publish normally.  Once thiscompletes
 things should behave
 properly.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:41:20 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com; site-dev@apache.org

No a regular publish this time please.

 From: Prescott
 Nasser
 <ge...@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:36:57 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com; geobmx540@hotmail.com; site-dev@apache.org

Ok that seems to have gone thru cleanly this time.Now please make another minor edit to the site andlet's flush things thru one last
 time.

        From: Prescott Nasser
 <ge...@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:31:02 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com

Seems to have
 worked,
 no?

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:56:11 -0800
From: joe_schaefer@yahoo.com
To: geobmx540@hotmail.com; site-dev@apache.org

Try https://cms.apache.org/lucene.net/lazy_publish
Quick and dirty if it works ;-)

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
I'm told it should "only take" about 10 minutes to publish now (as opposed to ~2.5 hours before). No harm in trying ;) ~P

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

[Lucene.Net] Re: trouble getting cms content to work correctly

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Modulo this particular bug affecting only your publication
requests, "massive" documentation commits merely require
some follow-through (to publication) as I've written about
today here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#mass-change

So the regularity with which you do this won't present any
particular problems other than increasing the frequency of
the subsequent pain you needto endure to walk mass-changes
through to the live site.  Small changes will normally
induce small amounts of pain (modulo this particular bug).

HTH

 Joe Schaefer
 <jo...@yahoo.com>

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-02-16, Prescott Nasser wrote:

> Thanks Joe, I can't thank you enough for the help today.

+1

Many, many thanks Joe

Stefan