Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/29 19:39:49 UTC

IvyDE and eclipse 3.3 (europa)

Hi IvyDE users,

I have a good news, eclipse 3.3 is out today and according to my tests the
current IvyDE version is compatible with this version!

It's a good news for you IvyDE users, and it's an excellent news for the
developers who won't have to maintain separate branches for 3.2 and 3.3.

Best regards,
Xavier
Creator of Ivy, xooki and xoocode.org
More about me: http://xhab.blogspot.com/

Re: IvyDE and eclipse 3.3 (europa)

Posted by Nigel Charman <on...@charman.net.nz>.
Thanks, I tried running the ant script and deleting the ivy cache without
success.  Removing the ivy.xml file fixed it, and after reinstating the
ivy.xml file the problem seems to have gone away.

Jira IVYDE-61 raised.

Cheers
Nigel

Posted by John Gill <ll...@gmail.com>.

On 8/1/07, Nigel Charman <on...@charman.net.nz> wrote:

> I have a problem with Eclipse 3.3 hanging at startup with IvyDE 1.2.0 on
> Ubuntu. This only occurs with one of my workspaces; Eclipse starts OK with
> the other workspaces. It appears to be related to IvyDE, since if I remove
> the IvyDE plugin and features folder Eclipse starts OK.  If I then
> reinstate
> the IvyDE plugin and features folders, Eclipse hangs.  I've tried a number
> of options including rebooting and leaving Eclipse for an hour to start
> up,
> but the only way I seem to be able to get this workspace to load is to
> remove IvyDE.
>
> The point at which Eclipse hangs is on the splash screen with the progress
> bar about 2/3 full.
>
> The Eclipse .log file contains:
>
> !SESSION 2007-08-01 22:54:12.565
> eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
> java.version=1.6.0
> java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
> BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_NZ
> Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-08-01 22:54:25.592
> !MESSAGE starting IvyDE plugin
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-08-01 22:54:25.626
> !MESSAGE IvyDE plugin started
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-08-01 22:54:26.471
> !MESSAGE resolved dependencies of /home/nigel/jibx/jibxws/build/ivy.xml
>

> I've looked back through the .log file and the last successful startup
> with
> IvyDE had the following:
>
> !SESSION 2007-07-29 20:19:27.903
> eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
> java.version=1.6.0
> java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
> BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_NZ
> Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-07-29 20:19:47.736
> !MESSAGE starting IvyDE plugin
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-07-29 20:19:47.887
> !MESSAGE IvyDE plugin started
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-07-29 20:19:59.523
> !MESSAGE resolved dependencies of /home/nigel/jibx/jibxws/build/ivy.xml
>
> !ENTRY org.jayasoft.ivyde.eclipse 1 0 2007-07-29 20:20:01.112
> !MESSAGE resolved dependencies of /home/nigel/jibx/jibxws/build/ivy.xml
>
> Note the "resolved dependencies" message is duplicated here on successful
> startup.
>
> I'm happy to raise a JIRA for this issue, but can you suggest any extra
> debug information I can obtain to help with diagnosis?   And does anyone
> have thoughts on how I could fix this?  Otherwise I guess I'll delete the
> ivy.xml and see what happens.
>
> Cheers
> Nigel
>

> Xavier Hanin wrote:
> >

> >> Xavier Hanin wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Any incompatibility feedback is welcome though, and will be considered
> [...]

John Gill

Re: IvyDE and eclipse 3.3 (europa)

Posted by Nigel Charman <on...@charman.net.nz>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/07, Aaron Metzger <am...@silkspeed.com> wrote:

> Xavier Hanin wrote:
> > Hi IvyDE users,
> >
> > I have a good news, eclipse 3.3 is out today and according to my tests
> the
> > current IvyDE version is compatible with this version!
> >
> > It's a good news for you IvyDE users, and it's an excellent news for the
> > developers who won't have to maintain separate branches for 3.2 and 3.3.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Xavier
>

> Does IvyDE work with Ivy 2.0.0 Alpha 1?
> and do they both work with Eclipse 3.3?

IvyDE is bundled with one Ivy version ATM, so you can't change the Ivy
version used by IvyDE without repackaging IvyDE. The tests I've done shows
that the latest trunk version of IvyDE, bundled with a very recent trunk
version of Ivy (more recent than 2.0.0 alpha 1) works with Eclipse 3.3. So
I'm pretty confident to say that the IvyDE works with Ivy 2.0 alpha 1 on
eclipse 3.3, even if I haven't done much tests. We will still need to make
an IvyDE release with one of the upcoming Ivy release (but releasing at ASF
is not a light process) to test it more carefully with one Ivy version and
several Eclipse versions to make sure it is fully compatible.

Posted by Aaron Metzger <am...@silkspeed.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/6/07, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, after more day to day usage of latest IvyDE with eclipse 3.3, I've
> found a compatibility bug: the "Add Ivy library" is not working with eclipse
> 3.3, you need to use the Build Path->Add Library->IvyDE Managed Library
> instead.
>
> I've asked for help on the eclipse JDT news server, I hope we'll find a
> solution soon.

FYI, thanks to the help from Benno Baumgartner on the jdt newsgroup I've
found a solution to the "Add Ivy library" problem under eclipse 3.3. The
trunk is now working properly with both eclipse 3.2 and 3.3 in this regard.

Xavier

Xavier

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/6/07, Ben Turner <be...@pobox.com> wrote:

> John Gill-3 wrote:
> >
> > I've been using IvyDE with eclipse 3.3 since your original email letting
> > us
> > all now that eclipse 3.3 was released, and I think I might have found
> > another problem today with the ivy console. If ivyDE can't resolve
> > something, you get the problem in a popup (in one very long line), and
> > after
> > closing that, when you look in the ivy console seems completely empty.
> >
> > Perhaps someone would like to confirm this behavior.
> >

> I can confirm this - I've been having network proxy issues all week, which
> has caused Eclipse 3.3 updates to be troublesome. Once I finally got IvyDE
> 1.2.0 installed, I tried to update and got the "all messages on one big
> long
> line" popup box and nothing in my IvyDE console.

If you have this problem again, could you capture the popup and post it in a
JIRA issue (this mailing list strip attachments)?  I've tried to reproduce
by setting bad dependency information in my ivy file and got a popup with a
long message in the details textarea (which is scrollable), and then got
more details in the IvyConsole...

Furthermore, having failed to resolve any of the Ivy libraries, I flushed my
> ivy-cache and noted that the ivy.xml "managed dependencies" library icon
> then vanished, and only reappeared after some fiddling around and a reboot
> of Eclipse.

It happened to me too a long time ago, it seems that sometime eclipse get
confused with IvyDE, especially when a resolve is done at startup and last
very long. Maybe it's a threading problem, not easy to investigate. Usually
restarting eclipse solves the problem, and it only happens seldomly.

Posted by Ben Turner <be...@pobox.com>.