Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/10/22 10:13:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Hi All,

A few recent emails make me think that there's at least the
possibility we'll want to consider some cherry-picked module updates
for 11.2 over the next month or so, assuming the release goes through
OK.

At present I think we've only done this once for 11.0 with the gradle
patch update?  That process seemed a little unwieldy to me, and
somewhat detached from our build server?!  Or maybe that's me
mis-remembering things?

I'm wondering whether if we do ship updates, we trigger a new
milestone in the release branch, and have a vote on full sources, as
per normal.  Alongside that we nominate specific module convenience
binaries (nbms) to be added to the mirrors / update centre.

That seems a potentially easier way to handle this.  On the downside,
it may require keeping both the original and updated source bundles on
the mirrors?  I'm also wondering what the mirroring / archiving
implications of overwriting specific nbms are?

We would possibly end up with a dist structure something like -

11.2 /
  11.2 source
  11.2 binaries
  nbms /
    update centre
11.2-update1
  11.2-update1 source

Any thoughts?  Barking up wrong tree? :-)

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 14:40, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> What are the distribution nbms ?  I see  nbms in dist but they have all an asc file associated.

Yes, those.  They have .asc files.  But that's not the same as NBM /
JAR signing.  eg. link Reema shared when this was last discussed -
https://reference.apache.org/pmc/codesigning

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
What are the distribution nbms ?  I see  nbms in dist but they have all an asc file associated.

Regards
Eric

> I'm wondering whether if we do ship updates, we trigger a new
> milestone in the release branch, and have a vote on full sources, as
> per normal.  Alongside that we nominate specific module convenience
> binaries (nbms) to be added to the mirrors / update centre.

Two further thoughts on that -

* we would either need to merge the catalog info to include the new modules OR we remove the 11.2/nbms folder completely and link to 11.2-update1/nbms ?  Second way simpler, but we end up with new build versions of all modules.

* currently the distribution nbms aren't signed as far as I know?!  What are the implications for updates there?

Some thoughts here would be good!  How do we best handle this at ASF?

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Montag, den 28.10.2019, 19:24 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 19:00, Matthias Bläsing
> <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> > if I'm not mistaken, currently the NBMs we produce are not signed when
> > we release. This is what I suggest:
>
> No, they're not.

I just remembered, where I saw this in the build:

nb/updatecenters/build.xml

there a new signing key is created, the nbms for javafx and nbjavac are
build and signed with that key. Then the public key/certificate is
embedded in the build as ide.ks.

ide.ks is provided by
org.netbeans.modules.updatecenters.resources.NetBeansKeyStoreProvider
to the update center to be used to check the signatures embedded in the
NBMs (see the META-INF directory of the javafx/nbjavac nbms to see the
signature).

That way the NBMs are fully trusted by the IDE and don't even trigger
the Validation dialog (so far my reading of the update center gui).

My idea would add a trusted certificate to ide.ks, that corresponds
with a signing key, that only PMC members have access to.

> > - all updates will be signed with that key, as it is trusted, it can be
> >   used to safely install updates
>
> How, or actually, where?  That would still be a manual, local, job?
> It would be great if we could sign during the Jenkins build.  Or does
> that just open another can of worms?

Yes my idea would be to require the release manager to get the signing
key from the SVN, decrypt it with his/her GPG key, use it to sign the
update-center nbms and the remove the signing key again.

> The other option that comes to mind - Jan mentioned validating the GPG
> signatures - but would it be possible to just get the IDE to use our
> KEYS file as a source for validation?

Then you need to artifacts: The NBM and its corresponding detached
signature. I agree, that it is possible to verify the signature that
way, but how to get them combined? And we would still need to push an
update to the current install base.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: [DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 27.10.2019, 12:18 +0100 schrieb Jan Lahoda:
> [How to handle updates]
> But I have no idea if we asked to an access there. (And if ASF would pay
> for each signed file, then singing several hundreds NBMs would not fly
> anyway, I think.) But we could at least use that for this update release
> (which will likely only consist of a handful of NBMs), and try to do
> something better for the future.

if I'm not mistaken, currently the NBMs we produce are not signed when
we release. This is what I suggest:

- lets create a signing key for the netbeans releases, place the
  private key on the PMC SVN directory, as is done with the SSH key to
  access the ousol binaries site
- add the public key for the signing key as a trusted code signing
  certificate to the netbeans distribution
- all updates will be signed with that key, as it is trusted, it can be
  used to safely install updates
- we should make sure, that we can handle multiple trusted keys,
  that way we can push a new key, using an existing key

This still requires once a manual installation of the first netbeans
version, that carries the key. What do you think?

Greetings

Matthias

Re: [DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 18:16, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> How are we doing in this discussion, at least, what can we do to release
> the fix to the nb-javac which, without it, will otherwise cause refactoring
> to fail if nb-javac is installed?

We need it merged to master.  We ideally need a temporary UC where
people can check it works OK with NB 11.2.  We need a cherry-picked PR
for release112.  We need to vote on a new source zip (along with any
other fixes we want to include in a patch release).  We need to upload
changed nbms and edit the catalog.

All that is mostly, OK.  At some point in that we really need to
figure out how to sign the updated NBMs though.

Also interested in Eric's view on using Maven for updates, because
this might be a better place to link the new NBMs from?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

How are we doing in this discussion, at least, what can we do to release
the fix to the nb-javac which, without it, will otherwise cause refactoring
to fail if nb-javac is installed?

Gj

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:07 AM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 09:48, Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Releasing the full source does sound easier for processes, so if
> reviewers are ok with that, sounds good to me. Should be possible to only
> upload specific NBMs. I guess the question is when we do the update, given
> the refactoring is broken for 9+.
>
> I'm thinking maybe ~2 weeks?  Given there is a workaround
> (uninstalling nb-javac) and the potential for other things that have
> been mentioned to maybe require fixes, we could aim for a patch
> release then?
>
> In the meantime, could we also provide an additional update centre for
> nb-javac so that people who want to can install and test the fixed
> version?  And is the fixed version ready yet anyway?

Should be this, I believe:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1589

I would like to try myself, to check that things are working, but didn't
get to that.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

23. října 2019 15:03:03 SELČ, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> napsal:
>On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 13:55, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>
>wrote:
>>
>> Agree completely. I suggest you put your proposal in a lazy consensus
>> thread.
>
>It's a best a half-baked proposal! :-)  I was hoping for some input
>and discussion first to clarify what we need and how best to achieve.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Neil

Odesláno aplikací K-9 Mail ze systému Android. Omluvte prosím moji stručnost.

Re: [DISCUSS] Handling release updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019, 10:35 Geertjan Wielenga, <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> How is the signing done for Apache NetBeans during releases and why can't
> that be used for the patch too?

Different kinds of signing. The releases and the updates will be signed as
ASF requires with an external .asc file. But the nbms in the release aren't
currently jar signed (ie. internal signature) so will show as unsigned with
a warning in the IDE. You can see this if you uninstall and reinstall
modules in the IDE. This is what we need to sort out.

And yes, you're not the only one to have been confused by this distinction!
;-)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
How is the signing done for Apache NetBeans during releases and why can't
that be used for the patch too? Sorry, ignorant on this point and need to
understand this aspect to be able to participate in the discussion,
alternatively those who are familiar with this should take the lead and do
what is needed or what is best under the circumstances.

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Korney Czukowski <cz...@seznam.cz>.
Then I must have misunderstood your earlier comment about issues due to
changes in the build system, my apologies. Although even with almost
everything in place, there's still this issue with nbm signing, so
practically the Update Center cannot be used for now, right (else you
would have already used it)? If this is the case, then a (trusted)
offline installed could be used as a temporarily and somewhat ugly solution.

And yes, I meant generally any release within the quarterly cycle that
is assigned a version number, sorry for not being clear.

Regards!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Korney Czukowski <cz...@seznam.cz>.
If the Update Center is out of the question for now, maybe it would be
feasible to create an offline update installer consisting only of a
couple of nbms that need to be updated, that would update an existing
NetBeans installation? Then it should be possible to vote for just for
this very limited portion of the sources and avoid issues with early
merging. If the installer is signed, there should not be any trust
issues regarding the content it carries.

If this is hard to do, maybe even just posting the patched nbms
somewhere and instructing the affected users how to replace them
manually could suffice, given the NetBeans userbase profile, it might be
acceptable to many.

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Cherry+Pick%22>

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Sorry did not get this part,

It's possible to generate catalog to link to maven central (will need some works to be sure to get all info maybe). It's a public repo. Nbm file are the same as the one in official release.

Not sure following are pro/cons, just "idea" based on current status of tools (nb-repository-plugin) for the patch case if needed

You cannot do a RELEASE112.1 in the org.netbeans(api,modules,clusters,external) without rebuild the whole NetBeans stack because every pom will need the RELEASE112.1 version on dependencies nbm being a side artefacts.
It's not possible to overwrite a released artefacts you cannot do a RELEASE112 again.

Hope It helps,

Best regards
Eric

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/19 8:55 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 16:02, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So anyone can step up coordinate and do a patch release of some modules
>> if the community approves that. When we are releasing the whole IDE the
>> RM has one orientation: the whole IDE.
> I'm -1 to voting on patch sources vs a whole IDE patch release (even
> if +1 to anyone else RM'ing it! ;-) ).  I think the way that the patch
> release was done previously would be difficult to achieve with the new
> build system.  We need to ensure that even patch releases end up with
> consistent build numbers / git hash info.  I also think the patch
> voting was more complicated for voters, and "awkward" from an Apache
> compatibility point of view.  Hence suggesting we still do a vote on
> the full sources built on netbeans-TLP, but only nominate required
> binaries.
Well, I'm not pushing for the partial source release/vote. You put
tremendous effort in the new pipeline to work, I very much believe that
it is easier, more reliable and safer to vote on the whole source and
nominate the required binaries.

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 14:01, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably the ugliest part was the actual release of the nbms. In the
>> future we could create a separate update center for release updates and
>> ship that configured in the release. I think the new plugin portal
>> infrastructure probably could help, if that'd support multi tenancy.
> Good point on the ugly part!  Although again I'd vote -1 on splitting
> the UC for the distribution in two.  Mainly from a downstream
> distribution / derivative perspective - enlightened self interest at
> play there! :-)
>
> However, we do serve the catalog from the VM, and the catalog can have
> absolute rather than relative links, meaning we don't need to serve
> the updated artefacts themselves the same way.
> Still, the other thing we need to keep in mind is that we may be
> starting to ship installers that can install specific clusters.  One
> way of upgrading such a release later is to install another cluster
> via UC?  Not having them signed / having multiple centres may also be
> a problem there.
I'm not sure I get this, but I think that would be explained in more
detail. Let's listen for other ideas as well...

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/19 7:17 AM, Eric Barboni wrote:
> Hi,
> Needs to be simple and formal enough to be  Apache compatible.
>
> I'm afraid that if it's too complicated, a RM can cancel release vote because if it may look simpler to merge some fix and revote. Or let the bug until the next X.Y release.
> And if a RM is more java oriented he may not see c++ or web issue as important to deserve an update. (kind if Laszlo were not RM at the time maybe gradle patch would have never been set)

Well that's not entirely true. Each release has it's own RM 11.1 and
11.2 happens to be Neil. A patch release can have a different RM. What
for example you are doing with the Maven Archetypes (btw thank you for
carry on that) are RM. It is the scope of such releases are way smaller
than releasing the whole IDE.

I would have created the Gradle patch release even if I was not the RM
for the whole IDE that time, though having two releases behind my back
certainly helped to have the confidence to walk though the path.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
The question is though, just for clarity, whether we really do need to vote
at all if (when) we provide a patch soon after the 11.2 release for a fix
to nb-javac, which will mean that only this specific file will need to
change:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/nb/updatecenters/extras/nbjavac.impl/release/modules/ext/nb-javac-13-impl.jar.external

I.e., the URL and fallback URL and hash will need to change in that module
and nothing else.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.