Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/10/03 01:34:00 UTC

1.2 TCK status

Historically certification has been the most time consuming portion
of a release, and there is no reason to expect it to be any different
for this release.  To make matters worse, the certification test
suite has not been run in several months while major changes have
been made to EJB, Transaction, Connector and Servlet Session.

This is my number one concern about getting a release out before the
end of the year, and would like start by getting a status update.
Anyone know the answer to these:

Does the tck currently run against trunk?  If not, what is needed to
get it running?

What is the status of GBuild?  I know it can't be used until the tck
runs manually, but it would be nice to have available when we get there?

Is there anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks,

-dain

Re: 1.2 TCK status

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Historically certification has been the most time consuming portion
> of a release, and there is no reason to expect it to be any
> different for this release.  To make matters worse, the
> certification test suite has not been run in several months while
> major changes have been made to EJB, Transaction, Connector and
> Servlet Session.
>
> This is my number one concern about getting a release out before
> the end of the year, and would like start by getting a status
> update.  Anyone know the answer to these:
>
> Does the tck currently run against trunk?

Negative.

> If not, what is needed to get it running?

I plan on spending time tonight and all day tomorrow (ugh) to get
more work on the cts-server's build.

> What is the status of GBuild?

GBuild (the network) is close to being functional again.  In GBuild
West, we have 8 hosts up, patched, and relativly maintainable.  2 of
which are going to serve as VMWare hosts.  The remaining details that
I have been working on (when I am not doing some m2 fluff) are
getting a simple recipe for cloning instances, as we will probably
bring up 10-20 virtual machines to join the network.  I had spend a
week+ setting up a system that will allow for scalable management of
these systems.

I also setup a central log4j logging service, a secured mirror of the
tck svn, re-setup cacti, yam/yum repos, mail relays, and way more
sysadmin crap than I would have ever thought I would ever do again.

IMO it will take another few days of uninterrupted work to finish it
off and setup a shared gbuild users' config controlled by puppet with
the latest build of GBuild (the software) and to get something
(continuum, cruisecontrol, anthil3, whatever) to automate the builds
for us.  I think that is another few days... so prolly another week
of time devoted to getting all of those bits sorted out.

I had been taking some extra time to make sure to set things up in a
manageable maintainable fashion... that is also secure... so we don't
have to do this again... and so that it will be easy to bring new
physical and virtual hosts online and keep everything patched and happy.

Aside from my few hours interlude dreaming of actually writing some
code and playing with a POC for the condition bits I mailed about
before I have been working on gbuild... when not distracted by
applying patches for testsuite stuff or fixing build muck.

And now... I'm going to drink a beer, puff a smoke and then figure
how to make the tck dance a jig and whistle dixie.

--jason

Re: 1.2 TCK status

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Historically certification has been the most time consuming portion
> of a release, and there is no reason to expect it to be any
> different for this release.  To make matters worse, the
> certification test suite has not been run in several months while
> major changes have been made to EJB, Transaction, Connector and
> Servlet Session.
>
> This is my number one concern about getting a release out before
> the end of the year, and would like start by getting a status
> update.  Anyone know the answer to these:
>
> Does the tck currently run against trunk?

no, in fact it doesn't build
> If not, what is needed to get it running?

Jason needs to finish making the tck configs build with m2, then I
will start looking at getting the tests to run.

> What is the status of GBuild?  I know it can't be used until the
> tck runs manually, but it would be nice to have available when we
> get there?
>
> Is there anything else we should be aware of?

Maybe this should be on the tck list.

thanks
david jencks