Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Christina Wierbicki <cw...@lancerinsurance.com> on 2012/10/01 19:15:27 UTC

SPLIT TABLE WITH FIXED HEIGHT ROW

Good Afternoon,

I have a table in the middle of a document.  The table has a single row containing a paragraph that will be populated by some text.  The row must be a fixed height, but when the text exceeds the height of the row  I need the table to split to the next page, print the header and continue with the table and the remaining text.
Is this possible?   It should not reach the bottom of the page before splitting.  About 15 lines of text can fit into this table/row.

Thank you

Re: SPLIT TABLE WITH FIXED HEIGHT ROW

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
it appears that odf specification lacks a native way of performing such a
trick. however, i invented the following procedure involving creation of
two files which should be subsequently printed on the same set of paper
sheets. the first file has wide top and bottom margins so that the
available area be quite where you need your table to reside. this file
would contain your table with "repeat header" and "allow row to break
between pages and columns" properties checked. the second file would
contain all other text you need in your document while the whitespace for
the table is preserved by inserting an empty frame on the table's place.
for the frame to appear on each page automatically, it should be anchored
to a paragraph inside the page header/footer while being positioned
relative to the entire page. of course you can merge both files together
if you create an appropriate set of page styles.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:15 01/10/2012 +0000, Christina Wierbicki wrote:
>I have a table in the middle of a document.  The table has a single
>row containing a paragraph that will be populated by some text.  The
>row must be a fixed height, but when the text exceeds the height of
>the row I need the table to split to the next page, print the header
>and continue with the table and the remaining text.
>Is this possible?   It should not reach the bottom of the page
>before splitting.  About 15 lines of text can fit into this table/row.

You don't say why you need a table.  The point of a table is that it
has a multiplicity of rows or columns, of course - but you mention
only a single table cell (though you may have multiple columns that
you didn't mention).  So it is not at all clear that you need your
table at all.  If, as it seems, you just wish to control the page
space occupied by your text rather than have it flow normally, then a
frame is probably more suitable - and you can get close to what you
need using frames.

o Go to Insert | Frame... to create a frame where you text starts.
o Adjust position, size, and anchoring.
o Similarly, create another frame on the next page, where you want
your continuation text to appear.
o Click the first frame to select it - so that you see the eight green handles.
o In the Frame toolbar, click the Link Frames button (three chain links).
o Click in the second frame: the two frames are now linked.
o When your text now overflows the first frame, it will naturally
flow into the second frame.

This doesn't deal with your need for a repetition of the heading
text.  Depending on your exact needs, you may be able to do something
with conditional text.  Alternatively it may be a simple job to
insert or delete the heading - possibly outside and before the second
frame - when the frame text overflows into the second frame.

If you really do need that table, there is no reason why either or
both frames should not be embedded in table cells.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker