Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2005/10/29 19:03:01 UTC

Old tags in Geornimo

I think that we should remove the old tags, i.e. M1-M4.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Oct 31, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote, On 10/31/2005 7:09 PM:
>

>> A milestone represents a significant point in the development.
>> Until there's a released version that is feature- and bug-
>> compatible with what they're doing, a milestone reference
>> is better than anything else.  Why would you want to remove
>> a reference to an accomplishment?  Rename it perhaps (to
>> 'M1_NO_LONGER_SUPPORTED' or something).
>>

> This is a good point.  What if we moved the tag to a directory
> called archived?

Wasn't that the original proposal ... or did you leave out the smiley
required to be that facetious?  :)

-David

P.S.  Get it, I was being facetious too.

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> That would not be a friendly way to go.  I am arguing that we remove the
> temptation.

And I'm arguing that revising history is unfriendly.

> I would use this as an argument  for removing milestone tags  as quickly
> as possible.  People should not be building against a milestone tag,
> only a released verison.

LOL!  People have this curious habit of building against
what they want to build against.  And resenting people
who try to tell them they're doing their pet project wrong. :-)

> Using a milestone tag would not be the way to go here.  Subversion
> version numbers work quite nicely here.

Eugh.  Tags are a friendly way of mnemonicising rev numbers.
Telling someone to use a particular transaction number is
*really* unfriendly.  And again, we *don't know* how people
might be using the tags.  Yanking tags out from under them
is pretty unfriendly too.

> Agreed.  I am arguing that *milestone* tags are not the way to support
> the above scenarios.

A milestone represents a significant point in the development.
Until there's a released version that is feature- and bug-
compatible with what they're doing, a milestone reference
is better than anything else.  Why would you want to remove
a reference to an accomplishment?  Rename it perhaps (to
'M1_NO_LONGER_SUPPORTED' or something).

> To what end will someone dig up, say, M3?  A supported tag e.g. v1_0_0
> or v1_0_5 I can see.

That's the point -- we *don't know* why they might.  Customers
are endlessly inventive, particularly at using things in
unanticipated ways.  Maybe they want to graph progress or
change rate between milestones; who knows?  I don't think we
can assume that we can guess ahead of time all possible reasons
all possible people might want to use the tags.

One of the common practices about open development is keeping
history intact.  Forever.  Good and bad.

Again, that's me.  My US$0.02.
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/31/05, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:
> Can we kill this old branch?
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.0-M5
>
> We have a tag for it here.
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/1_0_M5
>
> And can we also agree that we don't leave branches hanging around
> after every release unless that is planned to be an actual branch point?

+1 on both points.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Re: Old branches

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
David Blevins wrote, On 10/31/2005 6:06 PM:

> Can we kill this old branch?
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.0-M5
>
> We have a tag for it here.
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/1_0_M5
>
> And can we also agree that we don't leave branches hanging around
> after every release unless that is planned to be an actual branch point?

+1 kill, kill, kill!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/2/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
> > On 11/2/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I suggest next time we are creating a milestone, preview or tag only
> >> (unsupported) release, we don't create the temp branch in branches.
> >>

> > I respectfully disagree with this idea and my reasons are simple -
> > tags are meant to mark a point in time and *should not change* (i.e.,
> > commits to a tag should not happen). If a tag needs to change (i.e.,
> > something needs to be committed to it) then that tag figuratively
> > becomes a branch (and should therefore be moved to the branches dir).
>
> You know, I think the big problem here is we are trying to apply CVS
> terminology and dogma developed due to the limitations of CVS.  In
> CVS, the dogma is you never create a branch from a tag, always branch
> then tag.  In subversion there is no difference between a tag and a
> branch and we can easily change between them.  The difference lives
> in how we treat them.

Yes, it is a figurative and semantic difference (unless one implements
some sophisticated commit hooks to disable committing to a tag).
However, the concepts of tags vs. branches does not change from CVS to
SVN - tags are meant to be static whereas branches are meant to be
lines of development. In fact, here's a message from the svn-user@
mailing list supporting this notion:

    http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2003-09/0021.shtml

> I get the feeling that this debate is in a quagmire because we do not
> have a common set of definitions for the terms we are using, so let's
> formally define them.

Actually, I agree completely with this statement. Agreement on terms
and their definitions is more meaningful than any other concept
really.

> I think we have the following categories for
> code lines in our repository:
>
> supported code line (mutable)
> snapshot code line (immutable)
> experimental code line
> ?? others ??
>
> The nice thing with subversion is we can switch a code line between
> the three groups with zero impact to history and development.  We can
> simply move a code line to a new category, or create a copy of a code
> line in a new category.

Exactly ;-).

> Another big problem we have is creating a snapshot line is can not
> atomic operation.  Subversion is more then willing to make an atomic
> copy, but we can not create a snapshot code line without modifying
> the build and sometimes the code, and then there is certification
> testing which sometimes requires modification to the code line.  I
> think how we handle the hand off from a supported code line to a
> snapshot code line is at the heart of this debate.

Yes, and this is a very common dilemma. The recommended procedure is
the following set of steps:

1) Create a tag from HEAD named tag_foo1
2) Create a branch from tag_foo named tag_foo1_branch
3) Do work
4) Create a tag from tag_foo1_branch named tag_foo2
5) Remove tag_foo1_branch accordingly

The reasons for making the two tags is many, but the most important
one is to easily create a diff between the start and the end of the
development. This covers any need to merge changes back into HEAD from
the work done on the branch. In addition, copies are cheap in
Subversion so creating many, many tags has little impact on the
server.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/2/05, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:

> > One minor clarification. IMO, tags should remain intact forever.
> > Therefore a tag should be copied to the branches dir, not moved. But I
> > digress... ;-).
> >

> Awesome.  That's my preference as well, just didn't want to be
> inflexible and wasn't sure if you meant "therefore be moved" as in
> "svn move".
>
> Can you +1 my proposal for clarity?

I did that for the original message that started this discussion
thread two days ago.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Nov 2, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 11/2/05, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:
>

>> Guys, you are totally agreeing.  To paraphrase Dain, "It should be
>> fine to create a branch from a tag, forget CVS dogma."  To paraphrase
>> Bruce, "If we need to updated a tag, move it to the branches dir at
>> that point, so it's not a tag anymore."
>>

> I think we're in agreement as well.
>

>> And my thoughts are the same as well, "If we need to update a tag for
>> some unknow reason in the future, let's move it (or copy it with a
>> new name) to the branches directory at that point."
>>

> One minor clarification. IMO, tags should remain intact forever.
> Therefore a tag should be copied to the branches dir, not moved. But I
> digress... ;-).

Awesome.  That's my preference as well, just didn't want to be
inflexible and wasn't sure if you meant "therefore be moved" as in
"svn move".

Can you +1 my proposal for clarity?

Thanks,
David

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Nov 2, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>

>> On 11/2/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I suggest next time we are creating a milestone, preview or tag only
>>> (unsupported) release, we don't create the temp branch in branches.
>>>

>> I respectfully disagree with this idea and my reasons are simple -
>> tags are meant to mark a point in time and *should not change* (i.e.,
>> commits to a tag should not happen). If a tag needs to change (i.e.,
>> something needs to be committed to it) then that tag figuratively
>> becomes a branch (and should therefore be moved to the branches dir).
>>

> You know, I think the big problem here is we are trying to apply
> CVS terminology and dogma developed due to the limitations of CVS.
> In CVS, the dogma is you never create a branch from a tag, always
> branch then tag.

Guys, you are totally agreeing.  To paraphrase Dain, "It should be
fine to create a branch from a tag, forget CVS dogma."  To paraphrase
Bruce, "If we need to updated a tag, move it to the branches dir at
that point, so it's not a tag anymore."

And my thoughts are the same as well, "If we need to update a tag for
some unknow reason in the future, let's move it (or copy it with a
new name) to the branches directory at that point."

Did I capture everything correctly?

-David

Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 11/2/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
>

>> I suggest next time we are creating a milestone, preview or tag only
>> (unsupported) release, we don't create the temp branch in branches.
>>

> I respectfully disagree with this idea and my reasons are simple -
> tags are meant to mark a point in time and *should not change* (i.e.,
> commits to a tag should not happen). If a tag needs to change (i.e.,
> something needs to be committed to it) then that tag figuratively
> becomes a branch (and should therefore be moved to the branches dir).

You know, I think the big problem here is we are trying to apply CVS
terminology and dogma developed due to the limitations of CVS.  In
CVS, the dogma is you never create a branch from a tag, always branch
then tag.  In subversion there is no difference between a tag and a
branch and we can easily change between them.  The difference lives
in how we treat them.

I get the feeling that this debate is in a quagmire because we do not
have a common set of definitions for the terms we are using, so let's
formally define them.  I think we have the following categories for

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
This is exactly why I brought it up last time.  There is obviously
something wrong when the people that are supposed to know better are
making mistakes?  It is just confusing to have the branch there....
it is not a branch just a temp place we worked wile packaging the
release.

I suggest next time we are creating a milestone, preview or tag only
(unsupported) release, we don't create the temp branch in branches.

+1 to remove the confusing, non-supported, temporary branch we
created for 1.0-M5 packaging.

-dain

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Old branches

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
David Blevins wrote, On 10/31/2005 6:06 PM:

> Can we kill this old branch?
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.0-M5
>
> We have a tag for it here.
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/1_0_M5
>
> And can we also agree that we don't leave branches hanging around
> after every release unless that is planned to be an actual branch point?
>
> -David

+1

Regards,
Alan

Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote, On 10/31/2005 1:32 PM:

>Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>>Tags imply that they are supported.
>>

>Really?  I've never encountered that before.  Maybe against a
>V1_0_0 tage, but then you just tell someone 'nope, not supported.'
>M1 means 'milestone one,' right?

That would not be a friendly way to go.  I am arguing that we remove the
temptation.

>Another thing to consider is people who build against the
>idiosyncrasies of a particular tagged version.  Making the
>tag harder to find/check out does them no service.  This
>sort of thing was (is?) seen a lot with the Apache APR
>code.  Things like Subversion and the Apache httpd code
>are released with specific versions of APR expected.  So
>what if they're obsolete?  Make the tag harder to find
>and it's harder to use.

I would use this as an argument  for removing milestone tags  as quickly
as possible.  People should not be building against a milestone tag,
only a released verison.  Maybe if it was important for a particular
project to have a particular snapshot we would cut a supported tag, and
most likely a branch if we really liked them, but, imho, using milestone
tags is not the way to go.

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by John Sisson <js...@apache.org>.
I agree with Bruce.  One may read mail archives or a Wiki entry trying
to find some information on a topic and find information that mentions
M3 or M4.  We should keep the tags to allow one to piece together
something historical.

John

Re: Old tags in Geornimo

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.