Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/30 14:44:05 UTC

timestamp field and atomic updates

I have a timestamp field in my schema to track when each doc was indexed:

<field name="timestamp" type="date" indexed="true" stored="true"
default="NOW" multiValued="false" />

Recently, we have switched over to use atomic update instead of re-indexing
when we need to update a doc in the index.  It looks to me that the
timestamp field is not updated during an atomic update.  I have also looked
into TimestampUpdateProcessorFactory and it looks to me that won't help in
my case.

Is there anything within Solr that I can use to update the timestamp during
atomic update, or do I have to explicitly include the timestamp field as
part of the atomic update?

Bill

Re: timestamp field and atomic updates

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Recently, we have switched over to use atomic update instead of re-indexing
: when we need to update a doc in the index.  It looks to me that the
: timestamp field is not updated during an atomic update.  I have also looked
: into TimestampUpdateProcessorFactory and it looks to me that won't help in
: my case.

If you put IgnoreFieldUpdateProcessorFactory *after* the
DistributedUpdateProcessor (where the atomic updates are processed and the
"old" timestampe field value is populated in the updated doc) then a
subsequent TimestampUpdateProcessorFactory (or your existing default="NOW"
in schema.xml) should take effect on every atomic update.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/