Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2009/06/22 15:58:15 UTC

genesis-flava -> genesis-default-flava

Why was this module change made?  If I recall I setup genesis-flava
and genesis-default-flava (as a child of the previous) on purpose.

Why was this changed?

--jason

Re: genesis-flava -> genesis-default-flava

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> I spent a lot of hours with genesis 1.x looking through all the poms
> for the setting that was causing behavior I was wondering about to
> want to eliminate every bit of unnecessary complexity I could.
>
> In the event we come up with a flava that doesn't want to inherit
> from default-flava we can put it as a direct child of the root
> genesis project.

Fair enough :-)

>>> I also changed the groupId to o.a.g.genesis from
>>> o.a.g.genesis.flava.
>>
>> why?
>
> Fewer groupIds == simpler && better IMO.  I don't see what the
> additional groupId adds except complexity and chance for confusion.
> Am I missing something?

Its just a tool for organizing similar modules, like packages in
java.  I tend to organize stuff, which is why I put all flava's into
their own groupId.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 22, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:03 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>>> Why was this module change made?  If I recall I setup genesis-
>>> flava and genesis-default-flava (as a child of the previous) on
>>> purpose.
>>>
>>> Why was this changed?
>>
>> Because I couldn't see the purpose.  What good did genesis-flava
>> do?  It seemed to me that it only required maven to load one more
>> pom for every genesis-using project.  If you don't like genesis-
>> java*-flava being children of genesis-default-flava then I think we
>> should still avoid genesis-flava and make all the genesis-*-flava
>> children of genesis.
>
> I think I did that because I was unsure that every flava would want
> to include all of the default java stuff.  Your only problem is the
> download of an additional pom?

I spent a lot of hours with genesis 1.x looking through all the poms
for the setting that was causing behavior I was wondering about to
want to eliminate every bit of unnecessary complexity I could.

In the event we come up with a flava that doesn't want to inherit from
default-flava we can put it as a direct child of the root genesis
project.

>> I also changed the groupId to o.a.g.genesis from o.a.g.genesis.flava.
>
> why?

Fewer groupIds == simpler && better IMO.  I don't see what the
additional groupId adds except complexity and chance for confusion.
Am I missing something?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.