Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Johnson <st...@parisgroup.net> on 2003/09/28 15:34:57 UTC

Repos corruption questions

Hi All,

We've been using svn for a while now.  We had a db corruption early on,
but it's been working fine for months.  Yesterday, we started getting
this when trying to do anything with the repository:

     legolas:src> svn update
     svn: RA layer request failed
     svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/tank1/dev/src'
     svn: PROPFIND of '/tank1/dev/src': 500 Internal Server Error

When I try dumping the repository using 'svnadmin dump', I get this
error at one of our more recent (maybe the most recent) revisions:

     subversion/libsvn_fs/err.c:188: (apr_err=160007)
     svn: Invalid filesystem transaction name
     svn: no transaction named `fr' in filesystem
`svn_repository_bogus/db'

What does this mean?  Any ideas as to what caused it?

I went ahead and built a fresh repository using the dump.  The
repository seems to all be there up to the revision that caused the
above error...sort of.  I can browse around in HEAD using my browser
(we're serving via Apache), but when I try do a 'checkout', I don't get
anything.  svn just reports "Checked out revision 270" but no files or
subdirs come down.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks much for any help!

Steve Johnson
DigitalFish Films

Re: Repos corruption questions

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:34:57AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> I went ahead and built a fresh repository using the dump.  The
> repository seems to all be there up to the revision that caused the
> above error...sort of.  I can browse around in HEAD using my browser
> (we're serving via Apache), but when I try do a 'checkout', I don't
> get anything.  svn just reports "Checked out revision 270" but no
> files or subdirs come down.
[snip]

People have experienced this problem when the client was much older than
the server.  Please make sure your client and server are at most one
version apart.  (e.g. client=0.29.0, server=0.30.0)

Hope that helps :)

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: Repos corruption questions

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Steve Johnson <st...@parisgroup.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> We've been using svn for a while now.  We had a db corruption early
> on, but it's been working fine for months.  Yesterday, we started
> getting this when trying to do anything with the repository:
>
>      legolas:src> svn update
>      svn: RA layer request failed
>      svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/tank1/dev/src'
>      svn: PROPFIND of '/tank1/dev/src': 500 Internal Server Error
>
> When I try dumping the repository using 'svnadmin dump', I get this
> error at one of our more recent (maybe the most recent) revisions:
>
>      subversion/libsvn_fs/err.c:188: (apr_err=160007)
>      svn: Invalid filesystem transaction name
>      svn: no transaction named `fr' in filesystem
> `svn_repository_bogus/db'
>
> What does this mean?  Any ideas as to what caused it?

Well, it literally means that there was no Subversion transaction
record present in the database with the key 'fr'.  Unfortunately, the
cause of such a problem is impossible to discern without more data.

You say that all of a sudden you started seeing these PROPFIND
problems -- have your repository access patterns changed at all?  Did
someone suffer some other type of failure that set this off?  Do the
Apache logs yield interesting info?  Was someone naughty and ran
'svnadmin recover' on the database while it was still in use?  Can you
bypass the bogus revision with 'svnadmin dump' (for example, if the
dump always fails at revision 92, can you run 'svnadmin dump
--incremental -r93:HEAD /path/to/repos')?

Re: Repos corruption questions

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Repos corruption questions
Steve Johnson wrote on 28 Sep 2003, 8:34, at least in part:

> Hi All,
>
> We've been using svn for a while now.  We had a db corruption early
> on, but it's been working fine for months.  Yesterday, we started
> getting this when trying to do anything with the repository:
>
>      legolas:src> svn update
>      svn: RA layer request failed
>      svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/tank1/dev/src'
>      svn: PROPFIND of '/tank1/dev/src': 500 Internal Server Error

That looks very similar to what I got a few days ago from two
repositories here, just that line three stated "could not connect to
server". A svnadmin recover helped for a few repos accesses, then
it started over again. Did not try a dump, but reconstructed a new
repos from working copies, considering the old repos being lost.
Only thing I can see so far is that removing the unused logfiles may
have been involved. (see thread "repos not accessible after log
files removed"; system: Win2000, SVN .27)

Jan hendrik

> When I try dumping the repository using 'svnadmin dump', I get this
> error at one of our more recent (maybe the most recent) revisions:
>
>      subversion/libsvn_fs/err.c:188: (apr_err=160007)
>      svn: Invalid filesystem transaction name
>      svn: no transaction named `fr' in filesystem
> `svn_repository_bogus/db'
>
> What does this mean?  Any ideas as to what caused it?
>
> I went ahead and built a fresh repository using the dump.  The
> repository seems to all be there up to the revision that caused the
> above error...sort of.  I can browse around in HEAD using my browser
> (we're serving via Apache), but when I try do a 'checkout', I don't
> get anything.  svn just reports "Checked out revision 270" but no
> files or subdirs come down.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going on here?
>
> Thanks much for any help!
>
> Steve Johnson
> DigitalFish Films

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     Let us build cathedrals of peace,
     where the people are free.
                -- Ronald Reagan

Mailed with Pegasus Mail 3.12c (32bit).
Never heard of it?
Easy to use, full featured - and freely available.
And *no* automatic virus activation and spreading.
Take a look at http://www.pmail.com
Give it a try - and you'll never miss anything else.