Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/18 23:56:09 UTC

If you are wondering why site:site seems to take about a week ...

There's a very longstanding bug/confusion in Maven that results from
reporting plugins that fork executions. That's not the same thing as
forking a jvm, it's an internal maven business where a plugin says,
'whoops, to run me you have to make a whole new maven and run all this
other stuff first'.

The cobertura plugin does this. So does Javadoc in some really irritating cases.

If folks would like a faster site build, I'd suggest moving cobertura
to a profile.

If the current 'go for coffee' situation doesn't bother anyone too
much, we can leave it alone.

Re: If you are wondering why site:site seems to take about a week ...

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Again a voice from the Maven sidelines:

Maven 2.x is becoming increasingly fossilized. The Maven PMC now plans
to release a 3.1 pretty soon. If anyone feels that there are people
marooned in a 2.x environment who must build the source, it would be
good to speak up.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Christopher Tubbs <ct...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's interesting... because I was under the impression that the reporting
> section is simply translated internally to configuration passed to the
> maven-site-plugin. If this is not the case, I need to learn some more.
> However, if it is the case, then, it seems more natural to not rely on the
> correct translation of the reporting section to plugin configuration, and
> just configure that plugin explicitly.

First, there are issues of configuration inheritance. When a child pom
inherits <reporting> configuration from a parent pom, there is an
orderly process of merging them. If you do it all in the <plugin/>
element of the site plugin, there is no orderly process.

Then we've got the problem of forked executions causing very slow site
builds. One of my fellow-committers on Maven offered the opinion that
this problem was *also* exacerbated by the new style of config. I
don't have any details as to why, and he might be wrong, and I might
have misread him.

> Perhaps I've misunderstood you. Were you suggesting ignoring the site build
> entirely, as we're not really using it to generate a site, and just using
> the various independent reporting tools to generate javadoc artifacts, code
> coverage reports for Jenkins, etc., and avoid doing any site building
> whatsoever? Because, I've heard that recommendation before also...

I'm not suggesting punting on the use of the site, I like Maven sites.
The model I am deriving, however, is that some features of Maven sites
just don't work too well. In particular, any reporting mojo that
declares a forked execution is deadly in any project large than tiny.

Posted by Christopher Tubbs <ct...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Tubbs <ct...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.