Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Carl Steinbach <ca...@cloudera.com> on 2012/07/19 23:55:13 UTC

Re: Is HiveMetastoreClient a public interface?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

> The java API is an ask from one of our users for Hcatalog. Given that
> HiveMetaStoreClient is a thin wrapper around public apis, then change
> shouldn't be drastic? It seems the cleaner way to go about it is to create
> an hcat client wrapper around HiveMetaStoreClient and have HCatClient as
> public?

The problem with this proposal is that until HiveMetaStoreClient is a
public API, HCatalog has just as little right to integrate with it directly
as any other third-party. I think the best solution is to invest the time
required to make HiveMetaStoreClient a public API, or to wrap
HiveMetaStoreClient with HiveMetaStoreClient2 and make that a public API
(we'll probably need to take the latter approach since HiveMetastoreClient
currently exposes raw Thrift types).

I filed HIVE-3280 to track this task.

Thanks.

Carl