Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2006/10/29 14:06:46 UTC

Add processor commands to RemoteManager

Hi,

after support for JAMES-635 has been committed to trunk, support in
RemoteManager is still pending.

This is a suggestion what the syntax of new commands could be:

listprocessors
listmailets <processorname>
listmatchers <processorname>
showmailetinfo <processorname> <mailet index>
showmatcherinfo <processorname> <matcher index>

WDYT?

   Bernd

Re: Add processor commands to RemoteManager

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> > On 11/7/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

> > If yes, then please note that my implementation has no direct access
> > to Matchers/Mailet instances, it only works on their Config objects.
> > Furthermore we are probably reaching limits of the somewhat static
> > view the RM has of James - these managed object are highly subject to
> > configuration.
> >
> > In JMX though it would be easy to collect a specialized MBean for
> > every Processor/Mailet/Matcher.
> >
> >  Bernd
>
> The comment was a "long term" comment: imo now the best thing is what
> you already did.
> In future I would like to have mailets to publish their own mbean for
> management/monitoring tasks.

Just to not confuse things, but I think you already meant this:
Today, every mailet does already publish a dedicated standard MBean
instance on its own. But the MBean is not Mailet-type-specific, it
offers standard functionality regardless of Mailet type.

> Furthermore now the StateAwareProcessorList is the default processor but
> is configurable, so in future it should be the stateawareprocessorlist
> to publish that commands because another processor could have a
> different configuration method.

Ok.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> On 11/7/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Hi bernd, sorry I've not replied before.
>
> No problem, thanks for the reply anyway. :-)
> It did not hold up me committing this as proposed. ;-)

You did the right thing! Thanks!

>> I would use something more "dynamic" for the commands, so that different
>> implementations could be reached differently, but I think that the name
>> you're suggesting are simple enough to expose this "experimental"
>> feature.
>
> Are you saying that these 'standard commands' available for all
> Matchers + Mailets should be accompanied by a set of commands more
> taylored towards specific Mailets?
>
> If yes, then please note that my implementation has no direct access
> to Matchers/Mailet instances, it only works on their Config objects.
> Furthermore we are probably reaching limits of the somewhat static
> view the RM has of James - these managed object are highly subject to
> configuration.
>
> In JMX though it would be easy to collect a specialized MBean for
> every Processor/Mailet/Matcher.
>
>  Bernd

The comment was a "long term" comment: imo now the best thing is what
you already did.
In future I would like to have mailets to publish their own mbean for
management/monitoring tasks.

Furthermore now the StateAwareProcessorList is the default processor but
is configurable, so in future it should be the stateawareprocessorlist
to publish that commands because another processor could have a
different configuration method.

Stefano

Re: Add processor commands to RemoteManager

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.