Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Adriaan Joubert <ad...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/02 19:45:52 UTC

T5 IoC Tests and Mock objects

Hi,

We are using T5 IOC in a standalone application and it is great. Most
tests we can implement with a few mock classes and instantiating an
instance of the implementation of a service. There are however cases
where it is easier to use the IOC registry to stitch things together,
but only replace some services with mocks (or a suitably configured
local instance of a service). Ideally I want to use existing AppModule
configuration modules and only extend with a test module.

My problem is how to get the registry to return my mock objects when
asked for a specific service. It feels like a problem that probably
has a simple solution.

When using a standalone test module, I've managed to write mock
instances into static fields in the TestAppModule, and then return
them from ServiceBuilder methods. This works, but is laborious and
very ugly.

I spent some time picking testify apart, which is great to learn from.
However as far as I can see the dependency injector completely ignores
the IOC registry and intervenes by injecting objects from its own
pool. This has the advantage that it can be initialised after the
registry has been started. This is great, but we only use constructor
injection, so I don't think this is going to work for us.

My next thought is to write the test class into a field in my
TestAppModule before starting up the registry. I imagine I can then
use a ServiceOverride configuration method to pick out the mock
objects I want to use, and provide a custom object locator to return
these for specific services.

This is still quite ugly and does not deal with the problem of how to
handle the situation where objects are recreated in a setup method for
every test run.

So I thought I'd ask before spending more time on this. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Adriaan

Re: T5 IoC Tests and Mock objects

Posted by Adriaan Joubert <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Howard. I've put it in as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-918. Let me know if there
is something I can do to help.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's a bit more major surgery, but possible. Document all this in an
issue and we'll see about getting it implemented!

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: T5 IoC Tests and Mock objects

Posted by Patrick Moore <pa...@amplafi.com>.
Yeah

This is incredible useful. In T4 I set up something similar.  We have a
MockBuilderFactory that inserts a proxy that can be switched between a mock
and the real object. This offers these benefits:

   1. Production configuration is the same as the test configuration. (
   reduces "the tests pass but it breaks in production cases" )
   2. Tests can switch back and forth between the "real" service and the
   mock service.

Would be great if T5 had the same capability!

Patrick Moore
Amplafi
http://amplafi.com
650-207-9792
"Put your front window on your front page"
corp blog : http://amplafi.com/blog
personal blog : http://www.sworddance.com/blog

Posted by Adriaan Joubert <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by Paul Field <pa...@db.com>.
[...]

 - Paul

Adriaan Joubert <ad...@gmail.com> wrote on 02/11/2009 20:26:19:

> [...]
ignores
> >> the IOC registry and intervenes by injecting objects from its own
> >> pool. This has the advantage that it can be initialised after the
> >> registry has been started. This is great, but we only use constructor
> >> injection, so I don't think this is going to work for us.
> >>
> >> My next thought is to write the test class into a field in my
> >> TestAppModule before starting up the registry. I imagine I can then
> >> use a ServiceOverride configuration method to pick out the mock
> >> objects I want to use, and provide a custom object locator to return
> >> these for specific services.
> >>
> >> This is still quite ugly and does not deal with the problem of how to
> >> handle the situation where objects are recreated in a setup method
for
> >> every test run.
> >>
> >> So I thought I'd ask before spending more time on this. Anybody

---

Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.

Re: T5 IoC Tests and Mock objects

Posted by Adriaan Joubert <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's actually a very interesting idea ... I can see implementing
additional methods on RegistryBuilder that would allow you to supply
pre-built (i.e., mock) implementations of various services, for the
express purpose of testing.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Adriaan Joubert <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using T5 IOC in a standalone application and it is great. Most
> tests we can implement with a few mock classes and instantiating an
> instance of the implementation of a service. There are however cases
> where it is easier to use the IOC registry to stitch things together,
> but only replace some services with mocks (or a suitably configured
> local instance of a service). Ideally I want to use existing AppModule
> configuration modules and only extend with a test module.
>
> My problem is how to get the registry to return my mock objects when
> asked for a specific service. It feels like a problem that probably
> has a simple solution.
>
> When using a standalone test module, I've managed to write mock
> instances into static fields in the TestAppModule, and then return
> them from ServiceBuilder methods. This works, but is laborious and
> very ugly.
>
> I spent some time picking testify apart, which is great to learn from.
> However as far as I can see the dependency injector completely ignores
> the IOC registry and intervenes by injecting objects from its own
> pool. This has the advantage that it can be initialised after the
> registry has been started. This is great, but we only use constructor
> injection, so I don't think this is going to work for us.
>
> My next thought is to write the test class into a field in my
> TestAppModule before starting up the registry. I imagine I can then
> use a ServiceOverride configuration method to pick out the mock
> objects I want to use, and provide a custom object locator to return
> these for specific services.
>
> This is still quite ugly and does not deal with the problem of how to
> handle the situation where objects are recreated in a setup method for
> every test run.
>
> So I thought I'd ask before spending more time on this. Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adriaan

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry