Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com> on 2011/07/01 00:47:30 UTC

Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code

--- On Thu, 6/30/11, Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 29/06/11 23:05, Pedro F. Giffuni a écrit :
>
> Hi Pedro,
>
> I was particularly wondering about this one :
>
> > Name
>     Version    license
> > __________
>
> > mysql-connector
> 1.1.0    GPL

Hi Alex;

> The connector-c package from Mysql containing the libmysql
> library is
> released under GPL2, at least that is what is says in the
> copy I have.

All MySQL is GPLv2. This is not really a problem for us
because this is some functionality we would be likely to
make optional: not every OpenOffice user requires a db
connector (although it is admittedly cool).

> Oracle owns Mysql, so one would have thought that in theory
> this code could also be granted to the ASF - however, it
> appears that that is still uncertain, since as you rightly
> point out the list given is silent on the licence
> information.

I think a connector license change would actually make a lot
of sense for *them*. The main competitor is BSD-licensed but
if they want to keep it copyleft I am pretty sure they know
the advantages of the CDDL, so perhaps someone should just
remind them ;) .

Pedro.

Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 18:47, Pedro F. Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 6/30/11, Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 29/06/11 23:05, Pedro F. Giffuni a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Pedro,
>>
>> I was particularly wondering about this one :
>>
>> > Name
>>     Version    license
>> > __________
>>
>> > mysql-connector
>> 1.1.0    GPL
>>

> Hi Alex;
>

>> The connector-c package from Mysql containing the libmysql
>> library is
>> released under GPL2, at least that is what is says in the
>> copy I have.
>
> All MySQL is GPLv2. This is not really a problem for us
> because this is some functionality we would be likely to
> make optional: not every OpenOffice user requires a db
> connector (although it is admittedly cool).

Right. This would be an easy option for ./configure. Downstream
packages/users can choose whether to use it or not, so it meets
Apache's needs.

>> Oracle owns Mysql, so one would have thought that in theory
>> this code could also be granted to the ASF - however, it
>> appears that that is still uncertain, since as you rightly
>> point out the list given is silent on the licence
>> information.
>

> I think a connector license change would actually make a lot
> of sense for *them*. The main competitor is BSD-licensed but
> if they want to keep it copyleft I am pretty sure they know
> the advantages of the CDDL, so perhaps someone should just
> remind them ;) .

It used to be under a more liberal license, and they moved it *to*
GPLv2. The goal was to force more people into a custom (paid) license
agreement for apps/tools that wanted to work with MySQL.

I doubt they'd want to go back to a permissive license :-P

But again... it is moot at this point because of the configure option
for this whole set of functionality.

Cheers,
-g