Posted to dev@etch.apache.org by scott comer <we...@mac.com> on 2009/06/11 19:50:31 UTC

[vote] release apache etch 1.1.0 incubating (rc3)

artifacts are here:

http://people.apache.org/~sccomer/apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating/

source is tagged here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/etch/releases/release-1.1.0-incubating/

notes about testing here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/ETCH/checking-a-release.html

i've downloaded and tested:

apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating-setup.exe

i checked sig, md5, sha, installed and built examples and README.txt of
examples.

i checked operation of eclipse scripts in a normal (no space in path)
environment.

+1

someone else please test:

(extract and build on linux)
apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz

(extract and build on windows)
apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip

(extract and build examples on linux)
apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating.tar.gz

(extract and build examples on windows)
apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating.zip

scott out

Re: [vote] release apache etch 1.1.0 incubating (rc3)

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
thanks niclas!

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> 1. Verified all .MD5 and .SHA1 checksums.
>
> 2. Verified that the .ASC is signed by a key from the KEYS file in the
> SVN directory.
>
> 3. Content in -src.tar.gz has an extra level of 'etch' that we
> normally don't promote. Not a stopper.
>
> 4. Verified that all artifacts in SRC release exist in the SVN tag.
>
> 5. Verified that the content in the SRC zip and tar.gz archives are
> equivalent. Whitespace differs though, not a stopper.
>
> 6. There is two files present in the BIN.zip distro that is not
> present in the BIN.tar.gz distro;
>     ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.dll
>     ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.pdb
>     Any reason for that?? Stopper depending on answer.

these are only meaningful for windows or mono release. i don't have mono
configured on my
mac so they didn't build.
> 7. I didn't get "ant-dotnet" working.
>   [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource
> org/apache/ant/dotnet/antlib.xml. It could not be found.
>   I think it is because the following property
> Etch.dependency.ant-dotnet-1.0.jar, see;
>     -bash-3.2$ grep -r build.ant-dotnet.lib * | grep -v target
>     build-support/etch.common.xml:    <property
> name="Etch.dependency.ant-dotnet-1.0.jar"
> value="${build.ant-dotnet.lib}/ant-dotnet-1.0.jar" />
> refers to "build.ant-dotnet.lib" which is not set anywhere... but then
> again, changing it to use ant-dotnet.lib (defined in
> build.dependencies) didn't work, so it could be a matter of ordering
> and/or classpath setups... and I don't have more time to investigate
> this. I recommend an amendment in the BUILD.txt saying how to make the
> Taskdef available in Ant by copying something, or setting an
> additional env variable. I want to see an amendment in the BUILD.txt
> OR a fix to the build so that the BUILD.txt tells the correct story.

nod. we have it built into our ant distro.

> 8. I have not tested the Eclipse build, as I see that as a pure
> optional setup...

eclipse optional? *gasp*

> 9. Licensing-wise;
>   a. You depend on JavaCC which is licensed under BSD, which is fully
> Ok, but the BSD license requires that the downstream users are
> notified of this and that attribution is paid to the project. Please
> add an entry for that in NOTICE, and the actual BSD License text at
> the end of LICENSE file. This is a show stopper.
>
>   b. You depend on JUnit which is licensed under Common Public License
> (CPL), which we have defined as a Category B license for inclusion in
> Apache projects, i.e. only Binary dependencies. You fulfill this
> requirement, but again CPL requires attribution, so please add in
> NOTICE and the full license text at the end of the LICENSE file.
> Alternatively, specify JUnit installed to operate with Ant as a
> "System Requirement" for building from sources.
>
>   c. You have an optional/alternate dependency on Mono. Considering
> the licensing statement from Novell, I think this should also be
> brought up on legal-discuss@ mailing list. I don't think it has been
> covered in the past. Personally I think you are in the clear, (same
> goes for NUnit) if you change the wording to be that Mono or DotNet
> (and NUnit) are "System Requirements" and not "Dependencies" as they
> are now listed. After all, you are not redistributing in any way.
>
>   d. I think you should gracefully list Apache Velocity in the NOTICE file.

nod all.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for Scott reminding me to reply... According to the date this
happened during the time my son was born, so pretty stressful at that
time. And since then my inbox was piling up on messages.

All my issues I've noted were non-blockers so you could go ahead and
try to get the 1.1 code past the IPMC—a release requires at least 3
binding +1 votes from a PMC (and the Incubator PMC is ours). You have
my +1.

Comments inline below:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:49 AM, scott comer <we...@mac.com> wrote:
>>  - .classpath files from Eclipse are usually picked upon when trying
>> to get the release vetted, you might want to formulate an answer as
>> to why they are necessary or get rid of them
>
> they are necessary for eclipse development. why would they be picked on?

We usually don't target a single IDE for development within projects.
These files are easily generated (mvn eclipse:eclipse, or import the
ant build.xml file), so could be seen as superfluous. In the past
people have eyed the eclipse specific files.

Nothing major, but something you should be prepared for to receive comments on.

>>  - several notes.txt files don't have a license header. Since they are
>> distributed, and copyrighted, they should have a license header. I know
>> it makes them less readable.
>>
>> If you don't want to put a license header in, then have an answer
>> prepared when/if the question comes up.
>
> i don't see the notes files as intellectual property in need of protection.
> the README.txt doesn't have such protection. is there a short version
> of a header that we could put in? one line? what
> might be good would be positive confirmation in the file itself that no
> protection was needed, and  have rat honor that.

Well, the header is not needed for protection: it is needed to make it clear
to your users that the file can be used according to the ASL. Probably
unnecessary since the whole distribution is ASL unless specified otherwise
(in the LICENSE file).

>> Maven stuff: groupid should be org.apache.etch (in the README.txt it
>> is referenced as etch.etch)
>
> eek. i thought that was stamped out.

You might want to fix this and re-roll the release. I don't see it as
a blocker, but since you want to have this done at one time, why not
do it now.

Even though not much has happened in the last 9 months or so, I
suggest recutting the release and polishing it with at least the
groupId fix. Have a fresh vote and get the release out in the public!

It's nice to see the interest picking up again, keep up the good work!

Martijn

Re: [vote] release apache etch 1.1.0 incubating (rc3)

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
thanks martijn.

Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I checked the RAT report:
>
> Mostly looking ok, but a couple of notes:
>  - .classpath files from Eclipse are usually picked upon when trying
> to get the release
>    vetted, you might want to formulate an answer as to why they are
> necessary or get
>    rid of them

they are necessary for eclipse development. why would they be picked on?
>  - several notes.txt files don't have a license header. Since they are
> distributed, and
>    copyrighted, they should have a license header. I know it makes
> them less readable.
>    If you don't want to put a license header in, then have an answer
> prepared when/if
>    the question comes up.

i don't see the notes files as intellectual property in need of
protection. the README.txt doesn't
have such protection. is there a short version of a header that we could
put in? one line? what
might be good would be positive confirmation in the file itself that no
protection was needed, and
have rat honor that.
> I've checked a checkout of the tag and compared it to the src release,
> and couldn't find differences. Though the extra subdirectory in the
> src-zip file could be removed.

nod.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I checked the RAT report:

> [...]

>  d. I think you should gracefully list Apache Velocity in the NOTICE file.
>

> 10. I have not verified that the build output from sources correspond
> with the binary distro.
>

> Cheers
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM, scott comer<we...@mac.com> wrote:
>> artifacts are here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~sccomer/apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating/
>>
>> source is tagged here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/etch/releases/release-1.1.0-incubating/
>>
>> notes about testing here:
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/ETCH/checking-a-release.html
>>
>> i've downloaded and tested:
>>
>> apache-etch-1.1.0-incubating-setup.exe
>>
>> i checked sig, md5, sha, installed and built examples and README.txt of
>> examples.
>>
>> i checked operation of eclipse scripts in a normal (no space in path)

Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released

Re: [vote] release apache etch 1.1.0 incubating (rc3)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
oh, thanks! you're the man.

Posted by Manoj Ganesan <ma...@gmail.com>.