Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/01 07:59:38 UTC

Re: [GSoC][Commons][Statistics][Descriptive] Should Standard Deviation extend Variance & Variance extend Moment class?

Hello.

Le lun. 1 juil. 2019 à 00:50, Virendra singh Rajpurohit
<vi...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
> I've been working on descriptive module of "Commons-Statistics". My
> question is should I extend

I'll give hints as if the question mark was after the word "extend".

For starter, please read this:
    https://books.google.fr/books?id=ka2VUBqHiWkC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=java+inheritance+bloch&source=bl&ots=y_IgRku_OX&sig=ACfU3U3VMmrHT2ILGJQluunGLJcEOMICBA&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicsvv6nJPjAhVwx4UKHdU6BFUQ6AEwBXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=java%20inheritance%20bloch&f=false
(and the whole book is advice to follow).

Then, there might be some useful information here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/218744/good-reasons-to-prohibit-inheritance-in-java

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le lun. 1 juil. 2019 à 22:47, Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
> >> reason. However there is one good reason in this case (as I will show
> >> later).
> >
> > Avoiding duplication is a corollary of inheritance, but not the condition
> > for using it.
> > There must an "is-a" relationship.
> >
> >> The solution in Commons Math was to have a package-private set of moment
> >> classes that have an inheritance hierarchy. The public facing classes
> >> can then wrap these internal classes and avoid inheritance. However in
> >> Commons math some of the public constructors depended on package private
> >> moment classes, and one moment class was public. So the API was flawed.
> >> This is the subject of an issue which discusses removing the moment
> >> classes and avoiding inheritance [1]. The outcome of this discussion
> >> (from 2016) is not in the Jira ticket.
> >>
> >> There is also the question of whether the third and fourth central
> >> moments should be ported from Commons Math with the associated Skewness
> >> and Kurtosis statistics. It should be noted that at the limit of this
> >> hierarchy the fourth central moment has the data to compute Mean,
> >> Variance+Standard Deviation, Skewness and Kurtosis.
> >>
> >> Although it is possible to compute many statistics from a moment I would
> >> say it can be assumed if the user has selected a specific statistic
> >> class then they are only interested in 1 statistic. Construction of a
> >> flexible SummaryStatistics class to provide multiple statistics should
> >> be part of the design and so objects to compute different moments and
> >> the ability to use them to compute different statistics should be part
> >> of the design. This can be addressed separately but should be kept in mind.
> >>
> >> If inheritance is eliminated at the jump from 1st to 2nd moment it will
> >> result in a small amount of code duplication.:
> >>
> >> Moment1 = 4 lines
> >> Moment2 = 1 extra line (5 total)
> >> Moment3 = 4 extra lines (9 total)
> >> Moment4 = 4 extra lines (13 total)
> >>
> >> However all protected variables used in the hierarchy can be local to
> >> the method and the code (although duplicated) may be easier to follow.
> >>
> >> If the requirements of a moment are specified in an interface it can be
> >> seen that the hierarchy is simple:
> >>
> >> interface FirstMoment {
> >>     long getN();
> >>     double getM1();
> >>     void accept(double d);
> >>     void combine(FirstMoment m1);
> >> }
> >>
> >> interface SecondMoment extends FirstMoment {
> >>     double getM2();
> >>     void combine(SecondMoment m2);
> >> }
> >>
> >> interface ThirdMoment extends SecondMoment {
> >>     double getM3();
> >>     void combine(ThirdMoment m3);
> >> }
> >
> > "is-a" condition is not met.
>
> Do you mean that ThirdMoment “is-a” SecondMoment is not true? While this is correct the way the algorithm is implemented means that a ThirdMoment does have all the data for the lower order moments.

It's not what I had in mind, but I didn't pursue it because I thought
that testing different approaches was Virendra's task...
As you point out much below, first step is to lay out the minimally
supported API.

Gilles

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.
Re-sent to list.

> [...]
>>
>> If the requirements of a moment are specified in an interface it can be
>> seen that the hierarchy is simple:
>>
>> interface FirstMoment {
>>     long getN();
>>     double getM1();
>>     void accept(double d);
>>     void combine(FirstMoment m1);
>> }
>>
>> interface SecondMoment extends FirstMoment {
>>     double getM2();
>>     void combine(SecondMoment m2);
>> }
>>
>> interface ThirdMoment extends SecondMoment {
>>     double getM3();
>>     void combine(ThirdMoment m3);
>> }
>
> "is-a" condition is not met.

Do you mean that ThirdMoment “is-a” SecondMoment is not true? While this is correct the way the algorithm is implemented means that a ThirdMoment does have all the data for the lower order moments.

And <T> is an enum?