Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by wa...@softhome.net on 2001/04/19 03:35:32 UTC

newbie

Hi .. I'm newbie in jakarta (tomcat)

I Just setting Up my Apache with jk_mod (tomcat)  in linux
but I found problems
When FIRST time loading JSP,
e.g lynx http://localhost/examples
It's take a long time ( half a minute) to loading fisrt jsp page, but after
that evertyng goes fine ???

My conf just follow from doc in jakarta.apache.org

Any body wanna help me ?

Re: newbie

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
It depends on your system. If you're running Win98 with 64MB of RAM, and
your servlet has a lot of initialization code, then it might make sense.
Remember, your servlets aren't loaded and initialized until they are called
for the first time. If you want to avoid this type of delay, use the
"load-on-startup" tag inside your "servlet" tag in your web.xml file. There
are examples of this in the main web.xml file in the TOMCAT_HOME/conf
directory. This will load and initialize your servlet when Tomcat starts up
and avoid the first hit delay syndrome.

Thanks,
--jeff

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
Let me guess, these servlets are using sessions? When a session is first
used, there is alarge lag whilst tomcat generates a list of large primes (I
assume) to maintain unique sesion identifiers.
This will happen once and once only, when the first session is accessed
after tomcat starts. Afterwards session access for everyone will see no
delay. It would be nice if you could get tomcat to do this at startup....

sam

Re: newbie

Posted by Chris Nolte <cg...@pacbell.net>.

Re: newbie