Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Steve Hay <St...@uk.radan.com> on 2001/02/08 15:47:34 UTC

Using Filter Module under mod_perl

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to use the Filter module under mod_perl.

The attached script + module correctly outputs "Goodbye, world." under
Apache/CGI, but says "Hello, world." under Apache/mod_perl (with
Apache::Registry), i.e. the filter is not being applied.

I looked into this once before, but got nowhere with it.

Doug MacEachern had a *very* quick look last time and suggested maybe:

"... the filter mechanism is tied into the perl_parse() and/or
perl_run() functions, which are only called once by the perl (command
line) binary, and only once by mod_perl.  So it could be the case that
Apache::Registry is simply too late in the game to use Perl filters."

I e-mailed the module's author (Paul Marquess) recently.  He is not
familiar with the internals of mod_perl (neither am I), but he said:

"If mod_perl calls perl_parse, I'm not sure why the filters aren't
working. The filters hooks all live in yylex, which get called
indirectly by perl_parse."

Is there anyone familiar with both Filter and mod_perl who could shed
any more light on what's going on here?

Thanks,
Steve Hay