Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by zkn <zk...@abv.bg> on 2007/03/26 14:02:14 UTC

problems upgading james

I'm trying to upgrade from james-2.2.0 to 2.3.0 but something is
going wrong.

The first problem is that pop3 and nntp will always start though I
have removed them from the configuration file.

The second problem is that when I replace the PHOENIX_BASE/apps/james/
var with a symlink to the old var path james will not start and there
is nothing in the log files that can give me a clue on what is
happening.

Here is what is logged in the log files:

phoenix.console
---------------------
STARTED Phoenix Mon Mar 26 04:44:16 PDT
2007

Phoenix 4.2

phoenix.log
--------------------------------------
INFO    2007-03-26 04:44:17.653 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that all key-
stores have valid names.
INFO    2007-03-26 04:44:17.653 [Phoenix.] (): Verify that any
keystore names used by grant or permission reference actual keystores
INFO    2007-03-26 04:44:17.653 [Phoenix.] (): Verify that if target
is null then actions is null.

All james log files in logs are empty.

Ozkan

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
zkn ha scritto:
> Yes, the new jar together with the environment.xml change fixed the
> problem. Now james starts normally without any delay.
>
> Thank you!

Thanks to you for reporting the problem and the help in testing :-)

I hope James PMC will want to include this fix in the next 2.3.1. Stay
tuned.

Stefano

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.
On 05.04.2007, at 11:58, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read on the JIRA issue that you tried with the changed
> environment but it didn't fix it. What the behavioiur exactly the
> same? Have you took a dump stack of that startup too?

The behavior was exactly the same. The dump stack looks slightly
different:

Phoenix 4.2

Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.2_13-b06 mixed mode):

"Thread-0" daemon prio=1 tid=0xaa4c4f38 nid=0x5a00 waiting on
condition [0xaa102000..0xaa102868]
         at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
         at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.monitor.impl.ActiveMonitor.run
(ActiveMonitor.java:101)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

"Signal Dispatcher" daemon prio=1 tid=0x080a2330 nid=0x59fd waiting
on condition [0x00000000..0x00000000]

"Finalizer" daemon prio=1 tid=0x0808e3b8 nid=0x59fb in Object.wait()
[0xaacad000..0xaacad868]
         at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
         - waiting on <0xab3241a0> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock)
         at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:111)
         - locked <0xab3241a0> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock)
         at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:127)
         at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run
(Finalizer.java:159)

"Reference Handler" daemon prio=1 tid=0x0808d770 nid=0x59fa in
Object.wait() [0xaad2e000..0xaad2e868]
         at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
         - waiting on <0xab324208> (a java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock)
         at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:429)
         at java.lang.ref.Reference$ReferenceHandler.run
(Reference.java:115)
         - locked <0xab324208> (a java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock)

"main" prio=1 tid=0x08057c98 nid=0x59f7 runnable
[0xbfffb000..0xbfffc638]
         at java.io.UnixFileSystem.list(Native Method)
         at java.io.File.list(File.java:915)
         at java.io.File.listFiles(File.java:993)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.classloader.DefaultLoaderResolver.s
canDir(DefaultLoaderResolver.java:151)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.classloader.DefaultLoaderResolver.s
canDir(DefaultLoaderResolver.java:170)
[...]
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.classloader.DefaultLoaderResolver.r
esolveFileSet(DefaultLoaderResolver.java:131)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.classloader.SarLoaderResolver.resol
veFileSet(SarLoaderResolver.java:169)
         at
org.realityforge.classman.builder.LoaderBuilder.buildRegularClassLoader(
LoaderBuilder.java:210)
         at
org.realityforge.classman.builder.LoaderBuilder.processClassLoader
(LoaderBuilder.java:126)
         at
org.realityforge.classman.builder.LoaderBuilder.addAllClassLoaders
(LoaderBuilder.java:71)
         at
org.realityforge.classman.builder.LoaderBuilder.buildClassLoaders
(LoaderBuilder.java:48)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.classloader.DefaultClassLoaderManag
er.createClassLoaderSet(DefaultClassLoaderManager.java:233)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.deploy
(DefaultDeployer.java:331)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:542)
         - locked <0xab351bf8> (a
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:535)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile
s(DefaultEmbeddor.java:520)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployDefa
ultApplications(DefaultEmbeddor.java:509)
         at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.execute
(DefaultEmbeddor.java:268)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.run
(CLIMain.java:198)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.execute
(CLIMain.java:184)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.frontends.CLIMain.main
(CLIMain.java:145)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:
128)
         at org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:83)

"VM Thread" prio=1 tid=0x0808c508 nid=0x59f9 runnable

"VM Periodic Task Thread" prio=1 tid=0xaab02fc0 nid=0x59ff waiting on
condition
"Suspend Checker Thread" prio=1 tid=0x080a17e0 nid=0x59fc
runnable

      53,1-8

Should I also post this dump stack to the jira?

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Hi,

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.
On 30.03.2007, at 12:22, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> zkn ha scritto:
>> Have in mind that this MYOWN directory contains a really big tree
>> of folders and files - ~50GB. It will be really slow even if james|
>> phoenix tries only to go trough all of them.
>> I think that's all I can give as information. If your are not able
>> to help me I will have to keep using 2.2.
>
> Everything bring us to something weird in the new phoenix.
> It seems that the James code is not even reached when you are waiting.
>
> Can you give us a stacktrace of phoenix (kill -3 <pid> or jstack
> <pid>) while you "wait" for the folder scan? If you take a couple
> of them during this wait period it will help us.

I executed kill -3 three times and the result is below. Seems like
the problem is here:
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.classloader.DefaultLoaderResolver.s
canDir(DefaultLoaderResolver.java:170)

STARTED Phoenix Fri Mar 30 03:13:04 PDT 2007

Phoenix 4.2

Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.2_13-b06 mixed mode):

"Thread-0" daemon prio=1 tid=0xaa4e5880 nid=0x6591 waiting on
condition [0xaa102000..0xaa102868]
	at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.monitor.impl.ActiveMonitor.run
(ActiveMonitor.java:101)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

"Signal Dispatcher" daemon prio=1 tid=0xaab14470 nid=0x658e waiting
on condition [0x00000000..0x00000000]

"Finalizer" daemon prio=1 tid=0xaab00690 nid=0x658c in Object.wait()
[0xaacad000..0xaacad868]
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	- waiting on <0xab31f998> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock)
	at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:111)
	- locked <0xab31f998> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock)
	at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:127)
	at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Finalizer.java:159)

"Reference Handler" daemon prio=1 tid=0x0808d770 nid=0x658b in
Object.wait() [0xaad2e000..0xaad2e868]
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	- waiting on <0xab31fa00> (a java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:429)
	at java.lang.ref.Reference$ReferenceHandler.run(Reference.java:115)
	- locked <0xab31fa00> (a java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock)

[...]

"VM Thread" prio=1 tid=0x0808c508 nid=0x658a runnable

"VM Periodic Task Thread" prio=1 tid=0xaab16c88 nid=0x6590 waiting on
condition
"Suspend Checker Thread" prio=1 tid=0xaab139c8 nid=0x658d runnable
[...]

JVM exiting abnormally. Shutting down Phoenix.
STOPPED Fri Mar 30 03:18:05 PDT 2007

> Furthermore if you can check if James uses 100% or simply wait
> during this startup it would help.

CPU usage for the java process seems fine but there is a big iowait
which stopped when I stopped james.

> Furthermore feel free to open a JIRA issue so we can keep track of
> this bug while we try to solve it.

OK

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.
On 28.03.2007, at 16:36, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> zkn ha scritto:
>>>
>>> No, with james 2.3 this is not possible.
>>> In trunk we added support for commons-daemon and this is possible
>>> (but I don't know when this will be released)

>>> I think that James 2.3 keeps *keys* of every message in memory,
>>> but 30K messages should not be enough to fill the memory (it
>>> should use 1-2MB in the heap).
>> OK, but what if I have much much more emails under /var/mail/
>> MYOWNPATH, where  MYOWNPATH  is a separate folder which james
>> should not care about, and they are sorted in many folders in
>> there? Will it try to get keys for those files? Cause this could
>> be the reason for james not starting up when I use my real
>> repository? If that is the case it may take hours or even days to
>> read everything in the path :)
>>> Can you try temporarily moving the "address-error" mails
>>> somewhere else and restart to see in this is the problem or not?
>>>
>> Yes, I moved everything and it started without problems. As you
>> can see the verification is much quicker:
>
> All of this is weird. I checked the code in the verifier (from
> phoenix) and I didn't see anything that could take so much time.
>
> Furthermore I have a similar scenario with a symlink pointing to a
> lot of files that are never read by James and my james startup is
> normal, so I don't really know...
>
> Please let us know if you find out anything useful...

I ran some tests again and these are the results.
The real path to my repository is /var/james/var, James is installed
in /usr/local/james-2.3.0. In /var/james/var/mail/ except all James
store directories (address-error, ougoing ...) there is one MYOWN
where I have a lot of emails sorted in many sub, sub .. folders. This
is folder and everything in it have 755 SOMEUSER.SOMEUSER permissions.

James will start successfully if it uses it's self created /var. When
I link /usr/local/james-2.3.0/apps/james/var/mail/
to the real store /var/james/var/mail it won't start, will not create
any of it's store directories and the last message in phoenix.log is
Verify that if target is null then actions is null.

I created a new directory /var/james/var/newmail and linked it with /
usr/local/james-2.3.0/apps/james/var/mail/. James started and it
created all it's store directories successfully. I stopped it and
then made a link in /var/james/var/newmail/ to /var/james/var/mail/
MYOWN. After this changes James is not starting up again and the last
message in the log again is

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: problems upgading james

Posted by zkn <zk...@abv.bg>.
On 27.03.2007, at 14:31, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> zkn ha scritto:
>> I run it on RedHat EL3. James is running as root - I don't know if
>> it is possible to run it as different user and bind it on port 25.
>
> No, with james 2.3 this is not possible.
> In trunk we added support for commons-daemon and this is possible
> (but I don't know when this will be released)
>
>> I'm starting to thing that this has something to do with the files
>> under /var repository. We have hundreds of thousands emails under /
>> var.
>> What happened is that I started it to test it with the self
>> created var repository and while it was running we received lots
>> of emails - 60658 files in address-error, which makes about 30K
>> emails I think. Then I stopped it and ran it again. This time it
>> started much slower, I even thought it's not starting again but it
>> started. This is from the phoenix.log:
>
> I think that James 2.3 keeps *keys* of every message in memory, but
> 30K messages should not be enough to fill the memory (it should use
> 1-2MB in the heap).

OK, but what if I have much much more emails under /var/mail/
MYOWNPATH, where  MYOWNPATH  is a separate folder which james should
not care about, and they are sorted in many folders in there? Will it
try to get keys for those files? Cause this could be the reason for
james not starting up when I use my real repository? If that is the
case it may take hours or even days to read everything in the path :)

> Can you try temporarily moving the "address-error" mails somewhere
> else and restart to see in this is the problem or not?

Yes, I moved everything and it started without problems. As you can
see the verification is much quicker:

INFO    2007-03-27 04:46:55.298 [Phoenix.] (): Verify that if target
is null then actions is null.
INFO    2007-03-27 04:46:55.598 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the
name specified for Blocks and BlockListeners are valid.

> Otherwise try to temporarily increase the java memory using the "-
> Xmx" parameter in the startup script.
>
> Stefano

Ozkan

Re: problems upgading james