Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Kaymak, Tobias" <to...@ricardo.ch> on 2020/03/02 09:12:58 UTC

Re: Has the "Stop" Button next to the "Cancel" Button been removed in Flink's 1.9 web interface?

Thank you Piotr!

One last question - let's assume my source is a Kafka topic - if I stop via
the CLI with a savepoint in Flink 1.9, but do not use that savepoint when
restarting my job - the job would continue from the last offset that has
been committed in Kafka and thus I would also not experience a loss of data
in my sink. Is that correct?

Best,
Tobi

Posted by Tzu-Li Tai <tz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobi,

In this case, the job would indeed continue from the last offset that has
been committed in Kafka (assuming that you are using the
`startFromGroupOffsets` start position) for the specified group id.
However, do keep in mind that those offsets are not consistent with the
offsets written in Flink savepoints that are used for exactly-once
processing guarantees. Therefore, they do not provide any guarantees for
data loss.

BR,
Gordon

Re: Has the "Stop" Button next to the "Cancel" Button been removed in Flink's 1.9 web interface?

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
Hi Kaymak,

To answer your last question:
there will be no data loss in that scenario you described, but there could
be duplicate processed records.

With checkpointing enabled, the Flink Kafka consumer does not commit
offsets back to Kafka until offsets in Flink checkpoints have been
persisted.

That external offset commit, however, is not guaranteed to happen, and
always "lag" behind the offsets maintained internally in Flink checkpoints.
That is the reason for why there may be duplicate consumed records if you
rely on those on startup, instead of the offsets maintained within Flink.

The rule of thumb is:
Committed offsets back to Kafka by the Flink Kafka consumer is only a means
to expose progress to the outside world,
and there is no guarantee that those committed offsets are consistent with
operator states in the streaming job.

BR,
Gordon

Posted by "Kaymak, Tobias" <to...@ricardo.ch>.